Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rest in Peace

Last fall I had a back injury and was prescribed several weeks of complete bed rest (on my belly, flat on the floor).  Once I had recovered, and began physical therapy, I found it difficult to accomplish my usual load of tasks with my typical high standards. 

Luke sneered, "Yep, Superwoman has died...and in her place has resurrected a mere mortal...who burns toast and has a messy house."

During those weeks with my face in the carpet fibers, the Lord began to work on my heart.  During this past year, He has been faithful to chip away at my pride, stir up my passions, and grant me daily measures of the wisdom and courage necessary to rest in Him.

This is how emily p. freeman words it in "Grace For the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life".

"All of my life, I had been able to either perform my way into success or hide successfully from my failure...As good girls, we subconsciously label ourselves as the strong ones, the responsible ones, the sweet ones, or the right ones.

We try to stand tall and capable as the good Christian, the good wife, the good mom, and the good one. But Jesus is calling us to a deeper, truer, freer identity.

All he wants is simply you - minus your good works, minus your perfect attendance, minus your politeness. When you really believe that, you may discover that all you want is Jesus, simply Jesus.

Not just to get to heaven or to help you be a good person or do the right thing, but to simply love and be loved by him."

***
I stumbled across this graphic yesterday and thought it was so fitting, considering my current concentration on "abiding" in stead of "striving".

  (props for content) (props for design)

Good, good stuff:)

This has now become my sincere prayer....

I want Superwoman to die...again today.  In her place, please resurrect this mere mortal who walks and talks, abides and finds her strength and worth in YOU.  (So that when she burns the toast and has a messy house, she still identifies with the truth that she is worthy --not because of her performance, but because You say so.)  You love me.  Period.  The end. 
"I believe...help my unbelief!"  Give me courage to let "it" go and REST in You.





"