Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Problem reSolved

I didn't even make one.  I rebelled against the entire idea of New Year's resolutions.  From years past, we know the ONLY thing I'll be able to do without a doubt is FAIL.  Even if I succeeded 3 or 12 or 30 or 62 days in a row, one day I'll eventually stumble or fall or crash.

Since Saturday, I have quietly sat...passive and purposefully non-pensive...while January 1st, 2nd, and 3rd have slipped into history.  With caution, I have considered all the possible areas for resolute improvement.  The volume of opportunity staggers the imagination.

I could...


definitely pray more
or

Read the One Year Bible
or

do Made to Crave: 30 days of Devotions to help you crave God more than food.
or

focus on a Money Makeover: establishing peace by avoiding debt
or

participate in Love Dare: 40 days of intentional living to strengthen intimacy with your spouse
or

start the 21 Day Cleanse: three weeks of detoxification to jump start weight loss and cleanse your body or

implement 365 Days of Manners: Fun ways to help Children Learn Etiquette
or

Read "One Bite at a Time": 52 Projects to help you live more simply
or

I could always Walk 3 miles a day:  prescribed by eye doctors and cardiologists alike.
and don't forget to

take vitamins regularly
and

Read one Classic each month.
and

Write a thank you note each week.
and

Wash my face and moisturize with @nti-@ging creme every night.
and

Floss every day.

AUGH!!!!!!!!

Never mind.  I'll do nothing.  Since I'm bound to fail, I won't even try.

But this morning: January 4th... 
A ray of hope and clarity shone through the cloudy skies of self-prophesied defeat.

I've already missed out on the opportunity to do any of these things
each & every
day.

But I have NOT yet missed the opportunity to do something
today.

The boys were at odds when I drove them to school.
I pulled over to the side of the road, and prayed over them aloud.

Peace.

The girls and I sat down to have devotions this morning.  One excitedly asked, "Are we going to do this EVERY Day from NOW ON??"  We read Scripture, wrote in our journals, and prayed.  With calm resolve, I replied, "We're doing it TODAY...I know that for sure."

Love.

I have finished the pre-cooking for tomorrow's healthful meals. 

I have paid this month's bills and will continue to allow God to be at work in, and to be honored by our financial decisions.

I have brushed my teeth....not sure if I'll EVER floss.  Honestly.

I will put that eye-bag "serum" on after my shower...which I plan to take after I walk.

As for all the other [wonderful, life-improving] stuff...

I will just have to make myself available to the One who gives me everything I need for life.
the One who gives me life.
Abundant life.

I trust Him to give and take away,

to stir up and subside,

to challenge and expose,

to strengthen and encourage,

to call and answer

to abide with me.

And I will remain in Him.
Resolute.
Today.
Certainly discovering Joy.


 “I am the true vine … Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you… Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love… These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” –John 15