Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day in the Life

I needed to search my blog earlier today for some long, lost idea. I stumbled across this post from forty-seven months ago. I am so glad I keep a blog! Before reading this, I had little memory of any of it. Thank You, God, for encouraging me to jot things down ... and thank You for bringing me back to this snapshot of joy captured from the fleeting days. It's remarkable how much we've grown and changed ... and remarkable how so many things are pretty much the same.

Enjoy the blast from the past:)


FOR TODAY Monday, February 16, 2009...

Outside my window... cold and dark.

I am thinking...that there is nothing of value on television. The house is empty (except for Mari sleeping) and I am finally free to watch whatever I wish. Seppin' thar ain't nothin' on! Good to know.

I am thankful for...my husband, my kids, my home, our food, and my car. I am a rich woman!

From the learning rooms...Ardyn struggled today with concentration. She didn't get to go to her brothers' baseball practice because she wasted her day away. She was literally in anguish as we drove away from the park. I'm hoping the tough lesson will manifest a fresh focus for tomorrow. The boys accomplished a huge load of work today. It's nice to be ahead of the eight ball for the rest of the week. Ashlin is diligently reading and writing better each day. Her lisp is fading as she regularly reads "Dick and Jane". Those books use so many s's! "See silly Sally. See Spot, Sally." Wonderful progress! Mari can sing her days of the week and she is consistently identifying her colors --correctly. And our littlest Johnson is developing motor skills daily -- as evidenced by the incessant kicks and jabs within my belly.

From the kitchen...We had leftovers for lunch AND dinner. Pretty lame, I know, but the kitchen is tidy! When JW brought the groceries in this afternoon, it might as well have been Christmas morning for Mari Alice. She unloaded each sack with pleasure and joy. "Yay Milk! Beans! Crackers! and Turrrrrkey, too!!" She is such a happy girl.

I am wearing...wind pants, tee shirt, and bare feet. But I wish I had socks on. It's getting pretty chilly in the house.

I am creating...next year's school calendar. We're hoping to get started in May and get the first few weeks in before the baby arrives. Then we'll take it slow until she sleeps through the night. Then we'll rev our well-rested engines and take it strong into the Fall.

I am going...to paint that last stupid door from the hall bathroom. There, I said it. It must be done.

I am reading..."Can We Talk?" by Priscilla Shirer, my Holman Bible in a Year, and Daughter of the Mountain to the kids after lunch. (and growing slightly weary on all counts...pray for me.)

I am hoping...to get our sheets out of the dryer and onto the bed before Philip gets home. He is irritated by VERY few things in life. Beds without bedding tops his short little list. It's the least I can do. And, my, how I love the scent of freshly laundered bedding. If I can hurry up and post this, happiness shall abound!

I am hearing...nothing. Mari is asleep, JW is at the movies, and Philip took the other 4 to a basketball game. It has been a LONG time since I was seemingly home alone. Blissful silence. Let's just soak it up for a moment.............................................................................
...................................................................................
...................................................................................
.............isn't it grand?

Around the house...the rooms are playing charades. The living room is exhibiting "remains of the day", the bathroom - where 5 kids took 5 showers in 25 minutes - demonstrates "gorillas in the mist", and the laundry room jives to "Help! I need somebody. Help! Won't you PLEEEASE, please, help me? Help me!"

One of my favorite things...ice water. So often, I try to quench my thirst with a diet DP or lemonade. When what I truly need is a huge glass of iced, filtered water. There is no substitute.

A few plans for the rest of the week...Bible Study, Choir rehearsal, gymnastics, baseball, horseback riding, and we're driving down to Johnathan's first birthday party on Saturday. HUGE fun!

Here is picture thought I am sharing... How many years have we been "loving" baseball?? This photo is from the bygone era of "mommy has so much extra time, she can sew cheerleader uniforms from last year's jerseys!" Here's to a brand new season full of life lesson and street clothes.

To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.