Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful for my Tribe: Part 4


Mari Alice Johnson. Operator Number Nine. 2007

When Philip and I were engaged, we dreamed about the children we might someday have. We had no idea about boys' names, but one thing we knew for sure: We NEEDED a Mari Alice. My dad's mom -Mary Alice Walker - died when he was a boy. I loved the idea of bearing a namesake for a Gramma I would have to wait a lifetime to kiss.

I am so thankful for this child! She is confident and charming. She possesses keen discernment beyond her years and delivers the most boisterous rumble of a belly laugh. She cracks me up and touches my heart.

Mari is usually the first one to greet me in the morning and she always has an initial objective for the day's unfolding if not a sketchy timeline. I love her enthusiasm and determination.

Thank You, God, for Mari Alice.