Friday, May 07, 2010

Friday Fave AND Flashback Foto...what then?


Late 70's. Young Musicians of MBBC, Irving, directed by Carolyn Badry.
Pensive, if not mournful solo by CDJ:)

I love to sing. (Not so much in front of people...but it's a decent price to pay)

I sing a lot. (Not so much in front of people...but hey, ain't that mighty fine!)

I sing when I do dishes. I sing when I make lists. I sing when I give baths. I sing when I drive...ooh, that is some good, loud, stuff right there!

However, for the past few weeks, my singing voice has been silenced. Once I regained my speaking voice week before last, sadly, I still could not sing. At first, I was so grateful to be able to communicate above a whisper, that I patiently awaited my song's return. Instinct and habit would attempt a melody, only to result in a thin, scratchy rasp.

Yesterday, the mail arrived and I sang through a few lines of the furniture sale ad. Did I mention I sing when I open mail? By the second jazzy phrase of "five piece dinette made of solid oak" I joyfully realized my voice was back. It didn't sound great, but it was ringing on sustained pitches without cutting out.

With thanksgiving and celebration in my heart, and lively Italian arias in my mind, I immediately transitioned into "My voice is back! My voice is back!" To which, the kids sarcastically muttered, "wonderful...that is just great."

I believe they have rather enjoyed my inability to raise my voice or bark commands. Surely they have missed my music! Perhaps not so much:)

James 3:9-10 "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be."

Lord Jesus, thank You for my "quiet time". Thank You for continuing to heal my throat. You know how I've longed to be able to worship You in song. Help me have a comparable yearning to speak blessings to those around me...a consuming desire to build others up. Help me be a faithful steward...not just of talents, but of relationships with those whom You love.