Thursday, April 15, 2010

Word for the Wise

Yesterday my aunt was at the post office when she met a charming little 3-year-old girl. Waiting in line together, they chatted about life, happiness, and the cuteness of her little sister in the stroller. The toddler informed my aunt that - in addition to the precious one in her charge - she had four older brothers at home.

"Oh!" exclaimed my aunt.
This drew the attention of the girls' mother.

My experience would offer that she was most likely cringing at what would certainly follow the "Oh" she had heard so many times before.
"Wow, are you crazy? yuk-yuk-yuk?"
"Do you know what causes this?"

I swear I want to make a t-shirt that says:
"I won't ask about your sex life if you won't ask about mine. K, Pumpkin?"

Refreshingly, my aunt continued with happiness in her heart, "Wow! It must be so great to have lots of brothers and sisters! I have a niece who has 6 kids and a nephew who has 7 with one more on the way! We went to Colorado a few months ago and had SO much fun..."

The little girl grinned in agreement. Her mother sighed with a smile of feeling accepted and honored.

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger...
A man finds joy in giving an apt reply - how good is a timely word!"
Proverbs 15:1 & 23

Dear Father, Thank You for Aunt Jeannie and her enthusiastic encouragement. Forigve me for speaking harshly toward others. Give me a heart of forgiveness when I encounter folks who spatter on much like myself. Help me grow to be friendly and encouraging.


Elizabeth & the "Great" Aunt, HornCreek 2009


PLUS ALSO:
If you'd like to "follow" my blog, there is a new little spot I cleared out for you down at the bottom of the page. Enjoy!