Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Overkill

If Michael Jackson had passed away a month ago, I may have never known. I live in a bit of a bubble - an blissfully uninformed, media-free bubble. But in this season of nursing an infant several times a day, I have caught the newscast morning, noon, and night.

Is ANYTHING happening in the world aside from MJ's death?? I remember similar frustration when Luke was hospitalized as a three-week-old...eighty seven cable channels in the hospital room and only a few televising anything other than Monica Lewinsky.

One morning last week, I was dreadfully shocked to realize that I was brushing my teeth to the tune of "Beat It". Enough!

Yesterday was particularly disturbing as the morning news anticipated the memorial service. While the actual memorial service monopolized the daytime broadcast, the evening news recapped the service, and then special tributes replaced primetime. Enough already!

I tried desperately to ignore the goings-on, but several quotes caught my attention and brought true grief to my heart. I mourn for a planet filled with people who pour out their worship and praise for one so undeserving, while they systematically set aside the One who is Worthy.

(references to MJ during yesterday's show)

"He's gone from us now, but he will live forever and ever and ever."

"We will never understand what he endured, being judged, ridiculed. How much pain can one take?"

"He made us love each other...He opened doors...He tore the curtain."

"He was a true gift."

And in the cacophony of global influence...the incessant references to royalty...the murky blur of emotion and eternal reality... there was the processional music:

"Soon and very soon, we are going to see the king...Hallelujah! We're going to see the king."

Lord, have mercy...