Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hopefully Devoted

For several days...even weeks, I've been asking...even begging the Lord to strengthen me so that I might be available to share devotions with each of my kids. I feel hopelessly defeated in this area of life. I scratch and claw to "remain" in Him, but only seem to gather enough grace for selfish survival. I want to bear fruit. Shine light. Overflow into my kids' lives. But it seems I'm spinning my spiritual wheels.

Fortunately, our God is an awesome God and He is alive and at work around us.

This morning He showed favor in a surprising way. I had some quiet prayer time with three of my kids...through NO initiation of my own.

Ardyn simply walked into the room where I was nursing Elizabeth. "Could you do my prayer journal with me, Mom?" We read John 17 and talked about how Jesus prayed. I noticed that when he prayed for God to keep his followers "safe" it referred to unity, not lack of harm.

After finishing breakfast, Ashlin walked through and asked, "Mom, can we do my praise book next?" We read Psalm 139:13-16. We had an insightful discussion about her appearance and her worth. She is indeed "fearfully and wonderfully made".

Just as Ashlin and I were wrapping up our time, Luke walked in to see if I had time to help him with his Scripture memory. He is memorizing James 3:3-10 (about controlling the tongue) along with 2 Timothy 3: 14-17 (aobut the effectiveness of Scripture and discipleship) and interestingly, Psalm 39:13-16 (about being fearfully and wonderfully made).

I could not believe the ease and joy with which they approached me. I was afraid to say too much - for fear I would ruin the morning's vibe.

Thank You, Father God, for ordering our steps this morning. I am so unworthy of Your mercy and patience, but I find comfort in the promise that in my weakness, Your strength is made perfect. Thank You for my children. Thank You for beginning a good work in each of them and being faithful to complete it. I want to join you in what You're doing. We honor You, Lord, Jesus!