Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fresh Perspective

Landen and Luke are out of town until Monday. Ardyn and Ashlin are enrolled in art classes every day this week. When James realized that he would be out of town this week too, he marveled at how easy it might be for me: "Wow, Cari, we'll all be gone and it'll just be you and Mari and Elizabeth...what are you gonna do with yourself?"

I sharply replied, "How interesting that in 1998, caring for a 2-year-old and a newborn counted as my full time job...now you act as if it might be a vacation!"

After two days of the lightened load, I will admit it is very different. Not altogether easier, just a different balance. There is no one here who demands to debate my ideas, but there is no one here to strap the little girls into their carseats. (So I enjoy the peace as I scramble into the backseat to buckle belts.)

There are no stinky boys who go outside and come back in smelling of puppies, or worse. But there are no "go-to" babysitters who could hold down the fort in order for me to shower or take a walk or even run a quick errand. (So I keep my own watchful eye upon my darlings in a fresh-as-springtime atmosphere)

There are far fewer folks for whom to prepare meals. But there are far fewer folks available for kitchen duty. (So I cook a less and clean more).

I miss the boys, but they seem to be loving their change of pace. And even though it is strangely quiet without the girls, they are digging their daytime fun with friends. I'll be glad when we can spend our days together again, but for now, I am relishing the opportunity to play playdough for an hour straight - and most importantly: the reinstatement of early afternoon naptime!

Thank You, God, for today. Keep us close to You as we venture off this week. Help me find balance and purpose as the house fills up again next week. Thank You for loving us!