Thursday, April 23, 2009

Simple (Tardy) Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY Thursday, April 23, 2009...

Outside my window... sunshine and strong breezes, some spinach plants that are not thriving, and what seems to be 37 bicycles of assorted makes, models, and sizes.

I am thinking...that stomach bugs are gross. Tuesday midnight, Landen and I were struck down...and that's the last thing I remember until mid-morning today. Silver lining: I lost 4 pounds. My baby was literally kicking and flipping out. She had been left in the dark about the fast with no warning. I gently consoled her by rubbing my belly...knowing there's plenty of "reserves" to get her through a day or two...like behind the upper arms, the inner thigh region, under the first chin, not to mention the entire belly region that she is cleverly disguising at this point...several years worth of overstock saved for such a time as this.

I am thankful for...my kids. With Philip and work, JW in class, and Landen and I down for the count, Luke was forced into a temporary role of "alpha male". He did great. He cared for the sick, fed the hungry, cleaned the unclean and supervised about 10 hours of PBSkids. It was funny to hear him use my home management jargon. "Mom, I've got the girls on task, and I'm gonna check on Landen and take a quick shower." I asked him, "What does 'on task' mean?" He explained that Ardyn was going to unload the dishwasher, Ashlin was going to tidy up the living room, and Mari was supposed to finish eating and wash her hands, then get a book and wait on the couch. What a guy.

From the learning rooms...the WHAT rooms? nada.

From the kitchen...two extremes: Kashi crackers and applesauce for the convalescing, and leftover pizza for everyone else. Borderline disgusting on a lot of levels. JW is at the store, so mealtime should be on the upswing from here on out.

I am wearing...blue shorts, red tshirt. Plan to actually get dressed tomorrow. woo-hoo

I am creating...a blog post for the first time in a week. yay, me.

I am going...to get some time away tomorrow. A-Lone! then a datenight is in the works. There is a double header in L'view on Saturday, we'll see who is well, and then hopefully enjoy a family day in the sun.

I am reading...The Horse and His Boy by CS Lewis with the kids (still!) and I received two magazines in the mail today...very nice.

I am hoping...no one else comes down with this bug. I'll clean really well tomorrow and leave the rest to hoping.

I am hearing...Landen and the girls chatting in the living room. Ashli comes to ask for food every 5 minutes or so. She got sick last night and is finally finishing her regimen of teaspoons of water every 20 minutes. I have given her a few crackers and a tiny piece of banana. She's "still hungry".

Around the house...we're winding down from a pretty easy day. We need to take a running start at the last phase of the bedroom makeover tomorrow. Philip and Luke and Ardyn are at a baseball game, so we may just watch a movie...since no on has watched ANY tv in the last 48 hours. ha!

One of my favorite things...my new mattress. Tuesday morning, I awoke with lower back pain. Our mattress was a good one and should have lasted longer than it did. The high center was still great. And I used every bit of it the week Philip was gone. I cried Tuesday morning, "I don't mind if my back hurts by 5 or 6 in the evening, but if it already hurts at 6 in the morning, where do I go from here???" (that was at 6:40 am) At 7:14 am, Philip called to say the furniture store would be delivering a new mattress after lunch. What a man! And the best news: they warranted the first one and we got the new, upgraded one for CHEAP! Thank You, God.

A few plans for the rest of the week...who knows, but it will be fun.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...Ashlin Rae in her costume for the "Sacrifice" a couple weeks ago.

To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.