Saturday, April 18, 2009

Check Point

Philip is home. We were able to spend yesterday evening together as a family, and then he and I spent the afternoon together today running around town, just being together. Everyone is watching a Ranger game in the living room, so I thought I'd come log on for a minute.

James is almost packed up and out of his room. He's lived with us for almost four years. It has flown by. He'll try to enjoy a nomadic existence these last few months leading up to his grand exodus. For now, he's camping out in the "purple baby room". When the baby comes, he'll head to the boys' bottom bunk or the couch...or if I'm up with the baby in the night, I suppose he could snuggle up with Philip. We'll let him navigate all those options at the appropriate time.

Landen has one assignment left to complete before moving on to seventh grade. He is very pleased with himself, and so am I. Last night, someone called needing Philip to come look at their church van windshield wipers. Landen beamed, "I love it when people call my dad to help them...he's a problem solver just like me!"

Luke is doing well. He has a little more work to do on his research project, but will soon be moving on to 6th grade. He and I had a pretty good week. Every time he challenged my authority, I simply asked him if he needed something to be in charge of. He always decided that my being in charge was the lesser of two drags.
He has been a big help in the tedious, reorganizing aspects of our bedroom do-overs.

Ardyn is so glad that Philip is home. She wants to dance for him, ride bikes with him, play cards with him, and color with him. She is headed for 3rd grade and is very excited about doing dvd's this coming year. She "Luuuuuvs" her new pink room. "It is soooooo much better than [her] old one!"

Ashlin is ever conscious of our new baby. She puts her ear to my tummy several times a day. She just waits. Listens. Tonight, when I returned from the store, she came up and hugged me and said, "I love your baby." She is already such a great big sister.

Mari Alice was sick Thursday night and Friday. We are so accustomed to her cheerful spirit, that when she's mopey and moody, it is difficult to handle. Last night the kids persuaded me to make banana pudding to celebrate Philip's homecoming. Mari could not partake, but I promised her that she could have hers today. This morning at 7:something, she came to my bed and whispered, "It's tomorrow morning. I'm all better. I want my pooding, please!"

I am doing much better since Philip came home. I am really tired from Mari's all-night nausea, and with all the celebration, it's been difficult to catch up on rest. I've been told that my week long hiatus from cooking has drawn to a close. I have a couple things I can fake for the next couple days, and then I'll have to start menu and go to the grocery. bummer.

Thank You, Father, for bringing Philip home safely. You are so good to us. Thank You for using him to build Your Kingdom wherever You lead him. Thank You for my wonderful children. They each have so many strengths. Help us raise them to honor You and be a blessing to You and others. Thank You for JW. Thank You for showing Him part of the plans You have for him - good, prosperous plans. Thank You for blessing our home through him. Might You PLEASE grant me a good night's sleep tonight. I commit my ways to You. Love.