Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY Wednesday, March 11, 2009...

Outside my window... cold rain diligently waters my freshly planted veggie garden. Fortunately, the temperatures will hover at "cold" and do not show signs of dipping below freezing. "Grow, thou little spinach plant, grow!"

I am thinking...that the kids and I laughed a lot today. More than usual. I let them sleep late this morning. Perhaps we chased all the grumps away with lots of extra sleep.

I am thankful for...Philip's job. He loves what he does. He always has a good attitude about going to work. (Even when he gets called out at 10pm on a Wednesday night after putting in a whole day's work plus an evening of AWANA.) What a trooper.

From the learning rooms...Our books for NEXT year arrived this week. We plan to finish this term by April 30. Everyone seems to be doing great. The most exciting development is Mari's. We stumbled upon the fact that she can recognize and correctly name several letters and numbers. She's like our own little circus act. We sit around with flashcards and watch her go. When I show her "3+3" She says, "That's TWO three's and a 'plus'" She's rock solid on zero through seven...excluding 6 which she understandable bobbles on. One of the overzealous kids suggested we teach her to say the answer to the flashcards right away. "Wouldn't that be the coolest, Mom??"

From the kitchen...black bean soup was the featured menu item today. Ready for the recipe?
4 cans black beans
1 can corn
1`can rotel tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped (I used frozen) onions
1 Tbs Chili powder
1 Tbs Lime juice
Don't drain anything, just fire up the can opener and let'er rip! (I did feel led to add a dash or two of garlic salt) Pour it all into a pot and bring to a simmer. Serve with chips or rice, cheese and sour cream.

I am wearing...my Snuggle-smelling soft, blue nightgown with the hood. I was headed for bed when Philip got called out, but decided to blog instead.

I am creating...a floor plan of each bedroom on graph paper. The boys are using their scale drawing skills to make little cut-outs of each piece of furniture. Then I'll be free to move heavy furniture from room to room on my clip board until I find the perfect set up. What I'm really creating is a good, strong marriage:) To get ready for baby, Philip will be asked to move things one time, and one time only

I am going...out tomorrow night. No big plans, not sure what I'll do, but I'm going to get out of the house and run around like a grown woman for a little bit. Wah-hoo. (You know I'll end up at W@lM@rt...so sad.)

I am reading...nada. I need to choose my next book. I have a pile by my bed. I'm tragically behind in my Bible readings for the year. (Maybe that's what I'll do tomorrow night!)

I am hoping...Philip is safe and alert as he works in the cold, dark rain. He's so good at what he does. But I'll only be able to rest when he has safely returned.

I am hearing...sweet silence. Everyone is asleep. What a contrast to twelve hours ago when the house was buzzing with energized sounds of the children chattering, the dryer drumming, and the intermittent flow of footfalls through the house.

Around the house...moderate clutter. We giggled alot today...Something had to give. Surely we'll have it tidy by tomorrow evening.

One of my favorite things...is the library. Stories, songs, information, entertainment, mandatory quietness. For zero dollars, what more could one ask for?

A few plans for the rest of the week...Lessons, baseball, chilling with the girls and church on Sunday. A very relaxed outlook, indeed.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.