Monday, November 10, 2008

Retreat Recap

The weather was gorgeous! Cool, crisp Autumn breezes and warm, bright sunshine.

I had my own room in the lodge, so I was able to sneak in and "get my wits about me" between sessions. It also made it easier to dispel the temptation to stay up late giggling with "the girls". Incidentally, I was able to frequent the potty in complete solitude without interruption for a full 24 hour time frame...not since 1996, I believe.

The theme for the weekend was "True Beauty". I led worship and shared messages for four sessions:
"Beauty Rest: Receiving the Gift of Sabbath"
"True Beauty: Nurturing a Gentle, Quiet Spirit"
"Radical Transformation: Body, Mind & Spirit"
"Beautiful Feet: Sharing the Good News"

I told the ladies Friday night, "If you dig me, you are gonna LOVE this weekend! However, If I'm not your cup o'tea, you're probably gonna leave here sick o'tea!"

I arrived early Friday afternoon to get the sound system checked. Everything was great. The Zune worked wonderfully...I felt like I was playin' keyboard with a praise band! Then I went to "freshen up" before supper. I was just going to go change clothes and put on make up...I thought. You see, God is funny, funny guy. Just to verify that I was practicing the "inner beauty" theme that I was fissin' to preach...He ordained that I leave my cute little clinique bag ON MY BED AT HOME. Funny guy.

I most certainly rely on my inner beauty to provide whatever security I might need in my appearance. HOWEVER, I felt my glossy, splotchy face with sunken eyes might indeed be a distraction to the worshippers. So I implemented a pre-supper "love offering". I went around to the rooms of folks I knew and asked for "Alm(ay) for the poor." Do you know how many blue eyed friends I have? Soft brown earth tones, people! That's all I'm askin' for. Sheesh.

We got a good laugh and a better dinner before we dove into our time together.

The Lord definitely met with us on the hilltop by the lake. He brought 6 months -of focused listening, careful note-taking, and just plain livin'- together to bless us. I feel sort of selfish because I may have received the biggest blessing. He's just SO good! I noticed lyrics in the songs and links in the passages that I had never noticed before. He's just SO good!

Preparing for this retreat and seeing it through was a almost exhausting. But after two good nights of sleep, I think I'm ready to do it again someday. One of the biggest blessings was having my mom, and all my pals lifting me WAY on up in prayer. I absolutely felt it. I was never nervous, not for one moment. There were no technical difficulties to speak of, and my health and spirit were strong. Plus on having friends who love Jesus!

oh- I failed to mention the MAIN reason it went well. "Every day with [Rebecca] is a holiday!" Rebecca and Amy were the only ones not from the host church, so I'm sure it was not huge fun for them at first. Celina came through with her divine hostessing/fun friendship skills and we were all hangin' out and gigglin' before a new day had dawned. Thanks to my [not-so-stinky] brother in WA who flew Beck down. I love that girl! Leaving her makes me cry. I'm crying right now just thinking about telling her good bye on Saturday. ok, dry it up.

Ladies Retreat = Huge blessing
To God be the Glory!