Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Extra Value Meal

Yesterday afternoon, Luke followed three recipes in order to prepare and serve dinner all by himself. He made Crunchy Cheddar Talapia, long grain rice, tossed raspberry/walnut salad (with feta cheese) and homemade banana bread.

It was an enormous undertaking, but he found the creativity and clarity of thought to rise to the occasion. While the fish was thawing, he started the rice, and mixed up the bread. While the fish was baking, he set the table. While the bread was baking, he tossed the salad.

At 5:15, when Philip and I tag-teamed our entrance/exit at the garage door, the dining room table was fit for a feast. When I returned a few hours later, the table was clear; the kitchen was tidy. Half a loaf of banana bread rested on a pedestal cake stand, but otherwise there were no signs of the meal.

By 10:00 the triumphant 10-year-old was sitting on the couch watching baseball --fulfilled on many levels.

Thank You, Lord, for Luke. You have gifted him in so many ways. What a blessing he was to me today...to offer to cook so I could get ready for my dinner meeting. I thank You for all that You plan to do through him. I pray for his sweet wife. I pray that You would protect her and keep her so that they might be drawn toward each other as You draw them to You so they might know the perfect purity of Your Love. Help Luke as he learns to walk in Your ways. Give him the strength to choose holiness. Thank You for Your good and precious gift!