Thursday, July 24, 2008

And We're Off!

My mom and grandmother were here last evening for supper. I made a pork roast with rice & veggies plus sugar-free banana pudding. We enjoyed being together and the girls LOVED coloring with Grammy in their new coloring books. After they left to get settled into their hotel room, we cleaned up and helped Philip get packed.

We put the kids to bed and watched a movie while we waited for the last load of work clothes to dry. James came in around 12:30. I finally fell asleep around 1:30. At 3am, Mari approached my bed and whispered repetitively, "Momma, Momma, Momma..." I was too tired to discuss her breach of protocol, and I barely remember hoisting her up into bed with us.

The alarm buzzed at 4:58. Philip readied himself then woke the household. (They had each asked to be awakened in order to kiss him goodbye.) Ashlin has given strict instructions the night before: "I can do sixes, but I never do fives!" That's my girl.

All eight of us shared hugs and kisses and prayer. Then he was off. I glanced at the oven clock as it turned 5:31. Five Thirty-One A&M!!!! Just as I was wondering what we would do, James offered, "Let's make cookies and a pot of coffee!" The crowd went wild.

After we munched and sipped through the news update on the hurricane, we paired off to watch age-appropriate movies. Movie night at 7am, you can't beat it. The boys watched "Ernest Goes to Africa". Ridiculous. Ashli was happy to view Strawberry Shortcake for the 23rd time. Ardyn floated between those two rooms. Mari fell asleep in my arms during the opening credits of "Notting Hill". Though a bit crass, this movie cracks me up and warms my heart.

And now we're off to "start" our day.

Dear Father, thank You for all Your blessings. Thank You for Your protection and provision. Bless our time together today. We love You because You are wonderful!