Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday Bible Study

Last Tuesday was our first Summer Bible Study meeting. The Study is "Calm My Anxious Heart". We went around the room and shared "who we are", "what we did before we had kids", and "one thing you probably don't know about me". Two ladies had grown up in our town, but everyone else seemed to have a "I didn't mean to end up here" story. There was a general consensus that our fair city leaves much to be desired.

After everyone had shared, the leader opened the book to give an introduction to the study. She got as far as the subtitle: "A Woman's Guide to Finding Contentment". The irony distracted me. With gentle sarcasm I said, "We don't need contentment; we just live in a crummy town." We all giggled shy, guilty giggles.

This week we read about a woman named Ella. She is characterized by the "holy habit" of contentment. In her journal, she indicated her prescription for contentment she adapted from the writings of E.B. Pusey:
*never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather.
*never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
*never compare your lot with an other's
*never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
*never dwell on tomorrow - remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours.


Upon reading the first one, several of us felt like our only options were to give the book back and try this study another time or take a vow of silence. Today we met in the youth game room. Do you know what I said the first nanosecond I was in the building? "Wow, something in here smells really bad!" Yep, that's me: Happy Henrietta.

I'm not sure how to process our group time. During the course of the discussion today complaints were voiced concerning husbands, children, childbirth, nursing, cleaning, and tardiness. Even our resident "Pollyanna" was mildly bummed out. I know I need to pray more...for myself and for others who apparently struggle with the same mindset I do. I want to be an encourager. I want to be encouraged.

The most comforting thing about this study is that Paul reveals contentment can/must be learned.

"...for I have LEARNED to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have LEARNED the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." --Philippians 4:11-13

I'm trusting God to teach me. Sharlene said something wonderful today. She said "we need to stop chasing after what we think would be ideal and just understand that this is God's deal." I think that is completely catchy: 'I'-deal vs. God's deal, me vs God, which will it be? I suppose maturity comes when we realize that God's deal IS indeed ideal!

To all my Merry Marshallites, I'm blessed to be studying God's word with you. Pray for me, I'm praying for you.