Sunday, June 08, 2008

Ain't No Hidin' Under No Bushel

The pastor spoke about "shining" in the dark world. I was convicted once more of pursuing the life of a cave-dweller: my light shines but doesn't benefit many folks outside my modestly decorated cave. The rest of today was different.

One of Landen's baseball buddies' mom called this afternoon to invite our family to a birthday party. She said she was also planning to take the boys to see a movie. She spoke hesitantly, "I know you guys probably have some preferences...um...would it be ok if Landen went to see a movie...like...my son wants to see the new Adam Sandler movie." With my most optimistic voice, I calmly replied, "You know, I don't know much about that one. I usually look stuff up on plugged-in.com to see if it's something that would be a good choice." She hadn't heard of the site, but agreed that she didn't know much about it either. I told her we were looking forward to coming to the party, and she said she'd call me later about the movie.

I looked up the movie and let Philip read the review. He gave a definitive "No ma'am" and went back outside. I called the mom back and told her. She was grateful for the information and then began a lengthy monologue on the difficulties of raising children "these days". She explained that she and her husband had recently renewed their commitment to attending church following his decision to accept Christ. "The boys don't wanna go, and it's nobody's fault but ours". She seemed sad and disheartened. I assured her that boys their age don't want to do a lot of stuff that's best...so she should just stick with it. I told her she's doing the right thing. I mentioned scripture that we had studied at home. After she shared some more, she ended the conversation with, "Having friends like you is gonna be a huge help." I'm not sure if she was still talking about the boys or the adults.

This evening I took Mari for our daily jaunt. The first mile didn't really count because we stopped and talked to so many neighbors. I usually just smile and wave, but I felt compelled to at least offer one positive greeting as I passed. I don't know why I assume I'll bother someone if I initiate a conversation. "Insecurity" Philip would diagnose. Today: Security. One lady was watering her yard and on my second time around asked, "Are you going again?" I said yes. She asked if she could go get her shoes and go with me. Okie-dokie. We walked another 2 miles together. She talked. I just listened (and perspired) and encouraged her when I could. Some stuff she's going through, I just cannot relate with. All I could say was, "I'm so sorry that you're going through this." When we were through, she said to call her when I walk again. I guess I didn't bother her, huh?

Thank You, God, for our pastor. Thank You for our church. Thank You for our neighborhood. Thank You for our home. I want to shine for You. Help me come out of my cave often enough to have an impact on those You have placed in my path. Help me keep our home hospitably approachable --that beautiful balance of spiritual and physical peace-- so that we can shine for You as a family.