Friday, June 06, 2008

Out of Sight

I visited a new eye doctor for my annual exam the other day. My eye health is stable and my vision poor. He gave me a prescription for new lenses; I'll have to go back on another day to deal with frames. I used to wear contacts during high school and college. At that point it was discovered that in addition to severe near-sightedness, I have a substantial muscle imbalance that causes double vision unless my brain quickly compensates - which it does skillfully. I was given prism lenses in my glasses that compensates for the imbalance - in those few centimeters between the lens and my eye. The first time I put the new glasses on, the network of nerves and muscles along the side of my face just melted away into overwhelming relaxation. Point being: I must wear glasses. However, when I sing or speak in public, the glare of the lights off my rims is distracting to me and makes me feel pinned in. Then there are datenites when I just want to gaze across the table at Philip and not see blurry ovals surrounding our gaze. Or (prophetically speaking) my frequent trips to water parks... Anyway, my previous requests for occasional contact use have fallen on deaf ears. (eye doctors with hearing impairment??) THIS doctor heard my request, sympathized with my reasoning, and trusted me to be wise. He ordered a sample of daily contacts. Ironically, they are not intended for daily use at all, but for special occasions.

I'm a tiny bit excited. The BEST part will be to slip a pair in for the visit to the frame shop. Hello? I think this should be a standard operation procedure. How are you supposed to select frames when you can't see the mirror???? I've experienced this countless times since that first time in 9th grade. You put these dud glasses on, turn toward the mirror on the wall, and the attendant asks, "What do you think?" hmmm. I'm not sure, since I CAN'T SEE! I usually just sit down with my top 5 and use the magnified mirror at the desk. I always approve of how my glasses look from eight inches away with my neck jutted out -- in order to get my eyes closer to the mirror without getting my face any closer. No more. I'll slap a couple "dailies" in, put on a chic pair of frames, and peer into the mirror across the room to get that "first impression" ruling. Who am I kidding? It will still be a ridiculously stressful decision: "We need you to pick something to stick on your face everyday for the next two years...for every outfit, every activity, every mood...and we have over three thousand frames to choose from!"

I had left my sunglass clip on the kitchen table, so driving home with my pupils dilated was painful and probably dangerous (woops). Squinting helped with the painful brightness, but not so much with seeing. After I made it home, I made lunch and checked email: two activities I won't take for granted in the future. I typed a reply "by faith" just like my 6th grade keyboarding teacher would have wished. And my kitchen is simply annoying when blurry. I had a cranky lunch. To myself, but aloud, I kept saying, "I can't see and it's tickin' me off".

Oh, I have to share this. When you take an imaginary photo with Ardyn's Tinkerbell camera, a recorded voice proclaims, "Seeing is believing!". Rest assured, Luke has already preached against such heresy. "Ardyn, the Bible says we walk by FAITH, not by sight. NOT SEEING is believing!" Ardyn goes to drama camp next week where they are producing "Peter Pan"...I apologize in advance for any apologia that may occur...may she speak the truth in love.

I stole this one off Rebecca's blog: Helen Keller was asked if there was anything worse than blindness. She replied, "Oh, yes! A person with sight and no vision."

Thank You, Lord for my eyes AND my glasses. Help me have Your perspective on life, and when I "can't see and it's tickin' me off"...thank You for being near. Increase my faith. Give me vision, not just sight. Help me accomplish that for which You've set me apart. I love YOU.