Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bragging on My Boys

A few minutes before my alarm was scheduled to sound Sunday morning, the smell of fresh coffee drifted into my room just as the boys made their grand entrance. In contrast to the ceiling lights they abruptly switched on, their words were soft and gentle. They greeted me with "Good mornin' Momma" and presented a linen covered tray. The breakfast plate held scrambled eggs - with two kinds of peppers and mozzarella cheese, whole wheat pancakes, and hand-tossed nuts & berries. Flanking the food were a steaming cup of creme brulee' coffee and a stemmed glass of chilled milk.

Besides the 10-year-old's obvious attention to the meal's every last detail, my favorite part was the 12-year-old's contagious excitement over the Lord's apparent blessing on their Mother's Day project. Grinning so hard he was almost giggling instead of talking, he reported:

"Luke told me to pray to God and ask Him to wake us up at six....so I did...and guess what? I woke up at 5:56!!"