Monday, November 05, 2007

Probably Not

I am mildly embarrassed to admit that my daughters and I frequently enjoy viewing reality-talent programming. We're really into it. It's awful. We don't let the boys watch dancing because in Ashli's words: "Man, doze ladies are un-modest!" However, there seems to be one tiny little fruit of encouragement from American idol. Almost daily, as I sing (be it : the national anthem while washing dishes, a lyrical aria --the lyrics to which have escaped me, or Amazing Grace - gospel style) one child or another boasts, "Mom, you would totally not get voted off American Idol!" A few oblivious folks who think you rock....priceless.

Anyhoo. Saturday evening the girls and I were hanging out and we turned on PBS. They were broadcasting re-runs of Lawrence Welk. The girls delighted in the colorful, frilly costumes (for men & women alike). They mimicked the dancing, twirling, conducting, and bowing. As one blond bouffant finished her "lovely number", Ardyn probed, "Do you think anyone will call in to vote for her?"