Monday, May 21, 2007

Can I Get This For You?

Question of the decade: If I wait on my kids "hand and foot", won't they be spoiled? And yet, if I deny them service, won't I be modeling indifference and selfishness, and won't they grow up to be spoiled?

I consider the two sides of this proverbial coin almost daily. I see my kids gaining independence, learning teamwork, and embracing responsibility as I require them to do things for themselves. And I consider that a victory. But they seem to imitate my unhelpfulness --purposeful as it may be-- when dealing with each other. They echo my words to their siblings: "I didn't put that there, YOU pick it up." "I loaded the dishwasher, you can UNload it." Today, when they quoted me, I quoted Jesus. With extreme self-righteousness, I explained: "In the Bible, Jesus tells the people that whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me." I continued with phase two: "Now, honey, if Jesus needed a drink, would you get it for him?" And then I lost concentration. To the best of my memory, the kids learned the lesson I assumed I was teaching them, and everyone got their juice refills. My mind was rushing to analyze the text from my little lunchtime sermonette.

Matthew 25:34-40 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of theses brothers of mine, you did for me."

Wow! Except for the prison part (but for grace), this sounds like what I do all day long to these little "least of these's"...Folks are hungry; I feed 'em. Folks get thirsty; I give 'em juice. Folks are actin' strange; I still let 'em stick around. Folks need clothes; I get 'em clothes. Folks get sick; I hang out with them anyhoo. Sometimes I lose perspective to such an extent, that I approach our days together like a bitter maid. Here's the truth that can set me free: Christ died so that I could live His life: a loving servant.

I still don't know the answer to my question: to spoil, or not spoil (Feel free to chime in) But I feel my heart changing. Lord, let me see those around me the way You see them...and respond in the same Spirit.