Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hunger and Thirst

I was in the kitchen preparing dinner when my son walked in for another drink. He seemed baffled by his unquenchable thirst. I hypothesized that his lunch had included quite a few salty foods. He asked, "Why does salt make you so thirsty?" That nutritional discussion faded off as my thoughts were captivated by such potential spiritual profundity.

Are we not, as believers, declared in scripture to be the "salt of the earth"? And doesn't Christ Jesus claim to be the source of "Living Water" who promises to satisfy our deepest needs? Therefore, shouldn't our contact with the world cause people to "thirst" for the Source of fulfillment?

I heard a rumor once, that all-you-can-eat buffets put extra sugar in the tea, so that people would feel full sooner and thus eat less food. Can sugar really diminish hunger? I'm not sure, but it's great for today's extended metaphor, so let's run with it! Are there attitudes we display that would actually suppress someone's hunger for the things of God? Lord, have mercy!

Who knew lunch meat, Dorito's, and sweet tea could be so enlightening?

Psalm 73:25-26 "Whom have I in heaven but You? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Psalm 107:8-9 "Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men, for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."