Monday, November 27, 2006

Simple Math

Ah, the intrigues of having a college student under our roof. My baby brother, better known as "Uncle James-ey" has been living with us for more than a year. His presence here has not only added excitement and drama to our days, but has expanded our vocabulary as well.

For instance, "I really know what you're going through," has been replaced with "I'm feelin' ya dog." Calling one's attention to something or someone is no longer accomplished with words like, "hey", or "hi there", or "wait a minute". With great efficiency, we all just holler, "Dude!" However, the most influential addition to our verbiage has been two little words called "Plus" and "Minus".

This powerful duo of mathematical terms helps communicate a broad expanse of emotions and opinions ranging from gratefulness: "Plus on bringing home a Dr. Pepper!"; to disappointment: "Minus on eating the last brownie!" One family member might pass another in the living room and grin as he confirms that evening's activities: "Plus on watchin' a movie with me tonight!" One child might express his displeasure with a sibling's choice of plastic-ware: "Minus on takin' my cup!" This verbal technique can also be abbreviated by simply making comment -- positively or negatively. When someone tells you your shirt needs ironing, you may frankly disagree with "Minus". Perhaps you arrive home to find your favorite meal prepared for dinner. Adequate delight is conveyed with "Plus!"

Minus on leaving your laundry in the floor.
Minus on being late.
Plus on bringing in the mail.
Minus on watching TV while I clean the kitchen.
Minus on telling me I'm "in a mood".
Plus on wearing a shirt that matches.
Minus on whining.
Minus on pooping all over your clothes.
Plus on being so cute!

With all this "plus"-ing and "minus"-ing, I have become acutely aware of my speech. Essentially I am labeling my remarks as either positive or negative when I utter them. It stings to realize how often I say "minus". This categorical system leaves no room for neutrality. I am either encouraging or discouraging. I build up or tear down. I gather or scatter. Whether this verbal fad will sweep the nation or not, I have developed a heightened sensitivity to the words I speak and their effect. And I pray that God will give me the strength and self-control to be a total encouragement to those with whom I live. Minus on my rotten attitude sometimes. Plus on God (and others) being patient with me!