Thursday, March 02, 2023

Divine Appointment

 

We learn of a sizeable gift waiting to be awarded and it is my job to find a suitable recipient.


I make a plan to set up a meeting with a colleague to discuss potential possibilities.


But then I remember his department has an event, so to be courteous, I table it until the following day.


I make a new plan to set up a meeting, but discover he can only meet after 4 and I can only meet before 3.


I decide to meet with his assistant instead, and I plan to walk right over. However, interruptions and distractions delay my departure.


Hours later, I walk across campus.


Since the person I need to speak with isn't where I thought she might be, I climb the stairs to try to find her in the workroom.


I pass by a series of open office doors, and wave hello to friends who look up from their work as I quietly parade by.


I pop my head around one doorway and whisper, "Good morning, Friend!" 


"Please come in! I want to talk to you."


I never planned to stop or sit down or to plunge into a deeply authentic conversation. I was unaware that we had been at odds, that I had unknowingly caused confusion and pain more than a year before. I hadn't anticipated the heartfelt exchange of apologies and forgiveness that was literally waiting for me in a room to which I hadn't planned to go.


We share our sides. Bitterness is confessed and remorse is expressed. There is a holiness hovering heavy as hushed and humble words miraculously clear the air. I look up and use my ring fingers to wipe the moist mascara from below my eyes and then I stand to go. We thank each other for the honesty and grace and then marvel at how fresh and welcome the freedom feels.


Eventually, I finish the scholarship conversation I planned from the beginning. But not before God was able to use delay and deferment to position me with precision timing for the greater purpose. 


There was indeed a priceless and powerful gift to be offered and it was my joy to find - and to be - the suitable recipient.


"In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." Proverbs 16:9