Monday, October 07, 2013

Simple Woman's Daybook: 10.7.13

FOR TODAY Monday, October 7, 2013...

Outside my window...
Bright sunny skies and cool crisp air.

I am remembering...
how often I've fallen short, and how patient God continues to be.

I am thankful for...
voices and instruments and folks who praise Him in my midst.

I am creating...
messes. everywhere around me. that is all.

I am going...
to Ardyn's first Junior High choir concert tonight.

I am reading...
Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker - God is using this study to mess up my life in the grandest way:)
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson - happy to be delving into another classic with my friends around town.

I am hoping...
to dig out the winter clothes this week or next. I cannot express the degree to which I do NOT want to embark upon this journey into the recesses of our closets. Perhaps a set of leg warmers for each child in addition to a hoodie could carry our current wardrobe into the next month or three. I know, I know ... "first thing next week," she said with minimal conviction.

On my mind...
this constant tension between desperately wanting to share my life with honest transparency - and the consuming desire to live silently alone forever in a cave.

From the learning rooms...
I am amazed by how far Elizabeth has come in just a few weeks. I remember Philip [not-so-patiently] helping her with a scissor project a month ago. Now she is a grade-A cutter! Straight lines, circles, squiggly lines, you name it, she can slice it up:)

Noticing that...
when I am kind, my family is kind. (for the most part)
and when I am stressed and unkind, my family is ... not kind.

Pondering these words...

"Let your heart be full of courage and your courage full of confidence in God."
-St. Francis de Sales

From the kitchen...
banana bread just from the oven ... quietly, yet undeniably warm and sweet.
(like what I want to be when I grow up;)

Around the house...
Baby is down for his ONE nap. I was willing for him to maintain the two-a-day system for a little while longer, but he's just too darn playful all morning long. Ashlin made a perfect score on her Bible test earlier, and is working to finish up her lessons for today. Mari and Elizabeth are "taking their babies to school and then to the store" in their self-engineered minivan made of mattresses and blankets.

One of my favorite things...
child-like faith. I struggle to re-discover it in my own maturation and musings, so I surround myself with children so that I might learn and grow.

From my picture album...
that time he agreed to watch a princess movie with her, but neither of them made it through.




 

To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.