Sunday, October 13, 2013

Korean Beef and Broccoli

I ran across a recipe for Korean beef bowl - a cheater's version, substituting for the flank steak. 
Of course, I didn't remember the details, and I was missing some ingredients. But having been inspired by the concept, the title, and the yummy photo, I added veggies and expressed myself in the kitchen last night.
Surprisingly, we all enjoyed the end result, so I have decided to share what I did .. well, I'm sharing half of what I did. If you, like I, have a small army to feed, you'll want to double the following:)
It was quick and easy. And it only used one pan, one cutting board, one small bowl, a knife, and a spoon. Score!!
First, I toasted
2 TBS sesame seeds in a skillet oil
You could just use sesame oil and call it ... but I did not have any.) 
I added
1 lb ground venison ... beef or turkey would work too I suppose.
While that was getting a head start, I chopped some
fresh broccoli into 1-inchish pieces.
(I did not need to drain the venison, but with beef, I'd think you'd want to drain the grease at this point.)

I added the broccoli and some
minced garlic to the skillet and continued to stir occasionally.
(I also think fresh zucchini or carrots or mushrooms would be good ... "throw it in there" I always say:)

While it worked, I chopped some
green onion.
In a small bowl, I combined
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes (use less if you have tender taste buds;)
I added that mixture to the skillet and simmered until the broccoli was tender.
I folded in the green onions and served it with left over
rice.
(I am purposeful and proactive about making too much rice because it takes so long to make, can be repurposed in so many ways, and it can even be frozen for a quick thaw later, if I can't get my act together.)
I didn't think it needed salt or pepper but it's whatevs.
It was a change from my menu rut, so folks were thrilled. I hope you enjoy:)