Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday Favorites

If you ask me what my favorite thing to do is, I'll probably say, "reading to the kids."

And I'll start to rattle off all the wonderful books we've read together.

And if you ask me which is my favorite, it would be a difficult decision - but I'll probably settle on a "Mercy Watson" book by one of my favorite authors, Kate DiCamillo.

If you ask me to read it to you, I'll probably say yes.

I'll open the book and I'll read, "Mr. & Mrs. Watson had a pig named 'Mercy'. Mercy loved to eat hot toast with a great deal of butter on it."

That very yummy thought will be really distracting. Soon we'll have to stop so I can make one of my favorite snacks: "hot toast with a great deal of butter."

The warm, buttery, toasty smell will cause the kids to come in and ask for some too.

So I'll make enough for everyone.

And after we have finished, and we all have warm, full bellies, the children will want me to sit on the couch and read them a book.

And that's ok, because reading books is one of my favorite things to do.

But we'll have to choose a good one.

And if we have to pick just one, it will probably be a "Mercy Watson" book.

So I'll open the book and read, "Mr. & Mrs. Watson had a pig named 'Mercy'. Mercy loved to eat hot toast with a great deal of butter on it."

And soon we'll have to stop...