Monday, June 14, 2010

High There and "Hello!"

I've heard so many people say, "Thank God, for answered prayer!" I trust in the purity of a thankful heart, but part of me wonders if there is just a hint of, "Phew, I'm so glad He worked things out the way I wished."

In my experience, (and you'll forgive me if this concept has already been hashed out in a well-publicized Bible study by a girl with cute hair or in published devotions by a guy from the Great Awakening...I live in a cave.)

IN MY EXPERIENCE, God seldom leaves a prayer unanswered. Though He is seemingly silent on occasion, He most often answers my prayers forthright...with one of two answers.

"Not now."

or

"For now."

I've thought about it for days, and I cannot think of a situation or need or desire or challenge or mystery that He didn't respond to with one of these two answers.

"God, is this house for us?"
"Not now."
"God, is this house for us?"
"For now."

"God, please heal my friend."
"For now."
"God, again, I ask, please heal him."
"Not now."

"God, bless her with a baby."
"Not now."
God, will You please bless her with a baby."
"For now."
God, I thought you were going to bless her with a baby."
"Not now."
God, bless her with a baby."
"For now."

We are called to live in the "now".

***Oh, wow. I think I might have heard this in one of my brother's sermons. Crud. Well, I'm gonna keep typing and if I find that I'm an excellent & comprehensive listener [read: idea swiper] I will post the link here later. Ok, where was I?***

Living in the "now".

Each moment communing with the Loving Creator who has promised to work His plan for our Good. There is never an end to our circumstances and concerns until we realize we must rise above to set our hearts and minds on that which is everlasting.

The comfort that comes through prayer is grounded in God's character. Compare the prayer of David in Psalm 18, to the prayer of Habakkuk (all 3 chapters):

David has been dramatically rescued, triumphantly delivered.
Habby: not so much.

But both men's prayers indicate an intimate reverence for the Lord, and an unshakable belief that God is faithful. Each man prays to God fervently for relief. And despite the earthly turn of events, each man prays to God sincerely and faithfully with thanksgiving.

Listen to Habakkuk's cry.

Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
GOD, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer’s;
he makes me tread on my high places.


And David's song.

For who is God, but the LORD?
And who is a rock, except our God?—
He made my feet like the feet of a deer
and set me secure on the heights.

The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock,
and exalted be the God of my salvation—
the God who gave me vengeance
and subdued peoples under me,
who delivered me from my enemies;
yes, you exalted me above those who rose against me;
you rescued me from the man of violence.

For this I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations,
and sing to your name.
Great salvation he brings to his king,
and shows steadfast love to his anointed,
to David and his offspring forever.


How cool is it that BOTH men recognize and rejoice in God equipping them for higher places?

***Oh, guess what? I'm just now remembering that classic book called "Hind Feet in High Places" that I've never read...DUH! I'm SURE it is a more excellently exposed rendering of this revelation.

(I live in a cave AND I'm slow.)

Despite my inability to achieve fresh profundity...

It's the heights of communion that He calls us to. Whether you sense that God is setting you securely in the heights or making you to tread the heights, He promises to supply your needs and remain in You. No matter the physical outcome, our spirits can courageously soar with Him as we rest in His salvation.

Praise Him Now:)