Friday, March 12, 2010

Household Remedies

There were a few children in my home today who struggled to keep their words sweet and their tone soothing. I could tolerate it no longer.

A couple squirts of lemon juice right across her tongue.
A couple squirts across his tongue.
With just a hint of playful correction, I explained, "Boys & Girls: This is NOT how we want our words to feel to other people...Do you like being sour?? Darlings, your words need to be sweet."

Involuntary puckers, resolute promises, and they were back to the sandwiches at hand.

A few moments later: more of the same "nyeh-nyah!"

A couple MORE [longer, messier] squirts of [good, healthy, not-gonna-hurt'em] lemon juice. MORE puckers, MORE promises, and one more shot at a friendly luncheon.

Not even 10 seconds later: one child hurtled a stinging insult across the table.

No more Mrs. Nice-Lemon.

The guilty party received one very seedy jalapeno slice under his tongue...while the oven timer was set for 60 seconds.

(An innocent -but intrusively nosy- member of the gallery received a seedless slice under her tongue for wanting so very badly to be involved.)

After spewing the pepper into the trash, the defendant began to plead, "Momma- Mm mouth is really on fire! I'm sorry for what I said...I need yogurt! I will be kind with my words...Any dairy product will do - or a spoon of Peanut Butter, Mom, PLEASE! My health book says dairy products and peanut butter soothe hotness...I'm sorry! My words will be like Peanut Butter!!!!"

We put away the lunch mess including the lemon juice, jalapenos, AND peanut butter. Thankfully, sweet & soothing words blessed our home for the rest of the day...as far as I was able to hear:)

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24