Thursday, February 11, 2010

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY Monday, February 11, 2010...

Outside my window...SNOW!

I am remembering...our first Valentine's day as a married couple. Yikes, I really blew that one. Thank You, God, for second - and sixteenth chances.

I am thankful for...so many things...warm home, healthy food, clean water, handsome husband, sweet kids, a VERY good God.

I am creating...an organizational binder with tabs entitled:
"Read It"
"File It"
"Pay It"
"Do It"

When I open the mail I can put bills in "Pay It". Things that need rsvp go in "Do It". So on and so on. There is also a place for my monthly menu and weekly shopping list along with my calendar. My friend has been using this system for years and I'm finally on board.

I am going...to exercise today. Seriously.

I am reading..."Walking the Bible" by Bruce Feilerin.

I am hoping...to finish this season of MP3 with whatever excellence I can muster. I love those kids. Mentally, this has been a haphazard year for me, and I do NOT want the musical to reek of that truth. God, grant us mercy.

On my mind...plans for next school year.

From the learning rooms...Mari is loving her new book of mazes. Ashlin's current favorite is Aesop's Fables. Ardyn enjoys the cool experiments in science...the last one involved an apple, a knife, and cake frosting. Luke cannot stop reading History...I think he's a week behind in Math, but a month ahead in History. Landen has found a surprising last-quarter groove.

Noticing that...the heater kicked on for the second time since I started posting. I think it's set on 61, so it must be C.O.L.D. outside.

Pondering these words..."When we live by the power of God rather than our flesh, we don't have to strive for power with our words." - Stormie O'Martian. "For the kingdom of God is not in word but in power." - 1Corinthians 4:20

From the kitchen...Sloppy Subs, Twice Baked Potatoes, Green Leafy Salad, and Valentine Brownies.

Ok, this is kinda funny. After Christmas,I found holiday brownie mix on sale. REALLY on sale. $0.25 per box. I checked the date. 11/10. I read the instructions on the back of the box. They included the phrase, "when batter is blended, sprinkle holiday candies from pouch". This indicated that the "holiday" portion of the brownies was indeed a separate item and could therefore be disregarded which would reinstate the dessert to "non-seasonal". I did a quick estimation of how many times this year I would have opportunity to bake brownies for church fellowships, taking dinner to friends, or just for a family treat. Rough estimate = 'a whole bunch'. Therefore I purchased a suitable amount...you do NOT want to know:)

I used a few boxes for the January birthday blitz, and surely I didn't throw those sprinkles away. They were still in the baking bucket up in the cabinet. So this morning, the kids washed their hands and each got a paper plate on which to pour a pouch of red, green & white sprinkles for sorting & redistribution. After several minutes of quite concentration I had a bowl full of red & white candies to sprinkle on my "I Love You More Than Chocolate" Brownies. (The shunned green sprinkles are in a baggie for Spring Break...March 17:)

Around the house...Philip will be home soon. Baby is asleep. Kids are chatting in the kitchen...someone is bouncing a ball, I think...I shall not ask.

One of my favorite things...mini 5x7 yellow legal pads. Ah! The possibilities!

From my picture journal... Luke & Landen at Johnson Bowl 2010


To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.