Monday, June 22, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY Monday, June 22, 2009...

Outside my window... Luke is mowing, girls are playing, Landen is hitting golf balls...everyone is sweating!

I am thinking...that today went "ok". This was the first day for Philip to return to work, and for me to be a mom to six darlings with no pain pills. It was OK.

I am thankful for...Philip. He has been very helpful this week. Presently he is at the hospital allowing them to administer the second round of PKU testing on Elizabeth's heal. He was happy to take her in my stead. He'll do a much better job (read: much less emotional job) and if things get tough, he will not have a meltdown nor will he begin to experience the dreaded baby-cry-activated lactation leakage!

From the learning rooms...this week is a 3-day week. Praise the Lord! We are starting a new incentive program for Landen - the child for whom we've been unable to discover a muse, a proverbial carrot, if you will. He struggles with being motivated to excel. If 75% is passing, then 75% is his goal. And we use the term "goal" quite loosely.

Nearly all of his peers have a cell phone. We're not ready to dive into unlimited texting, but we're not against him having a phone in his pocket. (He borrows one of ours when he goes across the way fishing.) This month he will earn minutes toward a prepaid phone. Every point higher than a 75 earns him a minute. Every point lower than a 75 negates a minute. At the end of July, we'll activate a phone with however many minutes he's earned. He can enjoy chatting as long as his school work stays current, and he'll be busily earning the next month's minutes. Cross your fingers!

From the kitchen...a friend called to say she's bringing over some homemade, whole wheat crusted, pizza. Yippee!

I am wearing...capris and last year's MP3 shirt. I've lost about half a pound a day since I came home. I'm sure it will taper off soon, and I'll have to do the hard work. For now, nursing and ultra hydration seems to be generally effective.

[mid-post time lapse: sat on the couch with Philip, served dinner, nursed the baby, tidied the kitchen, handled two disciplinary issues, sent everyone off to the ballpark to watch two rival teams square up]

I am creating...nada durn thang.

I am going...nowhere. Despite my two-night consecutive VBS excursions last week, the spirit of hibernation prevails. I just need to get accustomed to our "new normal". Then I can go be sweet and cute in public.

I am reading...nada stankin' thang.

I am hoping...that Elizabeth sleeps through the night before September. I'll be able to cope and survive until then, but at some point, Momma gotta have some sleep. I'm sure she'll do great!

I am hearing...the baby fuss and squirm.
...ok, no more fussing...i'm typing one-handed and propping her on my other shoulder...we're rotten.

Around the house...a lazy dog, a fussy baby, a tired mom, and a slightly scattered blog.

One of my favorite things...is the diaper stacker my friend brought over today. It matches the room perfectly!

A few plans for the rest of the week...we plan to attend a wedding Saturday morning, church is always an option for Sunday, otherwise I'm concentrating on my kids and their environmental gladness.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...One of the few examples of thriving plant life in my yard.


To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.