Monday, May 11, 2009

Simple Womans Daybook



FOR TODAY Monday, May 11, 2009...

Outside my window... Rain. The neighbors behind us accidentally ripped down a section of our wooden fence while clearing some brush over the weekend. The plan is to work together to rebuild. Until then, we have soggy sod, and minimal privacy.

I am thinking...that my kids are great. They are great communicators, cheerful helpers, and kind friends.

I am thankful for...my weekend away. Some friends and I attended a home school book fair in Arlington. Even though it might have seemed we primarily adhered to a repetitive routine consumption of gourmet meals, we were actually able to enjoy several seminars and browse through endless displays of materials and supplies. (while merely accumulating a mind-boggling net weight gain of 1/2 a pound!)

From the learning rooms...Ardyn is currently finishing up day 3, which will afford her the rest of the week off. The boys are scheduled to begin their lessons Wednesday. Ashlin is concentrating on reading books and playing math games.

From the kitchen...Landen made pancakes and eggs for lunch. He and Philip are going to Shreveport to do some electrical work this evening, so they'll be "sack lunching" it. The rest of us should be satisfied with last night's taco soup and some chips. I'll resume cooking activities tomorrow.

I am wearing...black slacks, red shirt, and jewelry! (I had an appointment with my doctor this morning, so I really went all out:)

I am creating...new-fangled fun stuff on my blog. You like the playlist?? Philip surprised me with high-speed internet while I was gone. It appears that the sky might indeed be the limit.

I am going...to purposefully put into practice the lessons and encouragement I received over the weekend. I want to be a cheerful mom. I want to keep priorities straight in my head and heart so that my mouth doesn't ruin our day.

I am reading...that book on communication from the library, The Bible, and a new book I bought at the fair entitled, "How to Be a Good Wife...Even if You Homeschool". I heard the author speak and he is 14 kinds of funny. Should be a good read.

I am hoping...to be more consistent with Mari Alice's discipline. Philip sweetly admitted to me last night that after spending the weekend with her, he realized that she is rotten. There you have it. "You let her get away with way more than any other two year old we've parented, just because she's so cute and cool."
This morning I explained to her that when I tell her "no" about something, I need her to say "yes ma'am". She paused for a moment and then gently explained, "I know, but I just like to say 'please' two times to see if I really can."

obie-kaybie

I am hearing...the phone ring occasionally even though I'm on line. Strange. There may have been a few perks to dial-up.

Around the house...Mari is napping, Ardyn is doing school, the boys are hanging out in their room - mourning the loss of a sunny afternoon just prior to resuming lessons- and Ashlin and Oscar are snoozing in the living room.

One of my favorite things...is kitchen outlet stores. We shopped a bit on our way home from DFW and I found the CUTEST dip server & spreader set shaped like an artichoke. I also found a pear themed sugar bowl. Sadly I chose to pass up the honey server shaped like a bee hive, several tempting snack mixes and coffee flavors, and the $15 delux rubber spatula.

A few plans for the rest of the week...choir rehearsal, baseball games, and I need to back up my digital photos on discs. By next week, we'll be in full swing with school, so this is the week to tie up loose ends and enjoy the slower pace.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...like a little girl at the playground...so is a grown woman with high-speed internet.




To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.