Monday, March 23, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY Monday, March 23, 2009...

Outside my window... A surprising sun-drenched shower watered the lawn as we were finishing up the dinner dishes. Presently, wind and darkness share the space.

I am thinking...that if it weren't for these weekly daybooks, I would be a total blogger drop out. I'm not sure what my deal is. I think I may be nearing the end of contentment concerning dial-up. I don't want to completely arrive, so it's possible that I'm merely prolonging my approach.

I am thankful for...dial-up. Truly. It's just slow. But what is truly "slow" these days? Not much. Truly. I'm thankful for breezy evenings where the light lingers outside inviting everyone to do the same.

From the learning rooms...We are within 4 weeks of finishing the year. We'll have a big, three week break, and then it's onward and upward! Ardyn is doing well. Ashlin needs to read more. I need to read more with her. Mari Alice needs to color more. I need to color more with her. I suppose we've just articulated this weeks' objectives.

From the kitchen...I made 7-layer dip for lunch and then chicken & dumplings, and chicken salad for supper. Everything is tidy, but it needs to be cleaned, like Capital C-L-E-A-N-E-D. The fridge, the microwave, the cabinet doors, the vent hood, the floor, everything! Soon.

I am wearing...brown maternity shorts and a hot pink v-neck. My legs are not as toned as they were last time I wore shorts. It's depressing. I tell myself every morning, "Do SOMEthing today for exercise." Then as the day wears on, I just don't feel like it. Jesus, help me with a little tent maintenance...

I am creating...not really anything. Dreaming of creating, hoping to create something soon, resting while the Creator of the Universe forms this life in my womb.

I am going...to have a 3-D sonogram on Wednesday morning. Everyone wants to go. I'm usually not game for a public circus, but they want to so badly, and I don't want to leave them out of the fun. I'll ask Philip and see what he says. (He is usually ALL about the public circus:)

I am reading...A little Exodus, a little Matthew, and a few Psalms & Proverbs. It's amazing how the Lord can speak one strand of truth throughout the group of passages. He is THE coolest!

I am hoping...to have a better day tomorrow. I've been promised "new mercies" and I'm banking on them. I just wasn't on my game today. We had moments of fun and laughter, but my bouts of irritated barking came frequently with little warning. God forgive me, and bless my children with plenty of Grace to cover my yuckiness.

I am hearing...Philip talk with the girls in their room. Bedtime started over an hour ago, but I guess no one was tired. They heard him come in and began to yell for him to join their insomniatic discussions. Though the sounds are muffled, I have heard him play some kind of hide and seek game, read a library book or two, chant some silly poetry, and now he is singing the papa song. They will sleep much better now.

Around the house...Oscar is happy that "alpha-male" has safely returned to the pack. The boys are in their room finishing up their "stuff". And like the kitchen, everything in every room is tidy, but must be cleaned soon. Tidy can only carry you so far.

One of my favorite things...is keeping a calendar. It is the embodiment of rest, peace and hope. It tells me where to be and what to do and what to remember not to forget. It hints at the future while documenting the past. It gives each day purpose,perspective, and a plan. And when life's interruptions arrive, you can simply circle something and draw a cute curvy arrow to another square on the grid.

A few plans for the rest of the week..."Sacrifice" rehearsal tomorrow night, Dr. appt & church on Wednesday, Ortho appt for 3 kids and baseball practice Thursday, Locks of Love haircuts for the girls on Friday followed by a few hours of "just Mommy" shopping made possible by Uncle JW! (deep breath, then get ready for the rest) "Sacrifice" rehearsal and two baseball games Saturday, then after regular morning worship activities on Sunday, the girls are singing in the evening song service. And that'll do.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

This was Christmas 1993...a month later, I married Philip...15 months later, Dad suddenly died. March 24, 1995.

This picture is at the dining room table where we typically "feasted" as a family. The night before he died, a group of us were feasting at this table to celebrate Kathy's birthday. (Happy birthday Kath--sorry I'm so often pensively bummed on your birthday) The next morning he just died in the the middle of a sentence. When his heart unexpectedly stopped, each of ours burst with sorrow.

I'm so thankful for the memories of Dad joyfully feasting and living life to the fullest. He was well prepared for heaven in many ways! Thank You, Jesus.

To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.