Monday, March 02, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY Monday, March 2, 2009...

Outside my window... sunny and cool. Pear trees are blossoming, hedges are shaggy, and we're almost ready to fire up the Cub Cadet.

I am thinking...about so much. Really. My mind is congested with a steady flow of thoughts, plans, visions, reminders, wonders, and ideas. Hoping to vent a few here, then jot a few elsewhere, and allow the rest to ebb and flow.

I am thankful for...a good check up this morning. Heartbeat: good. Movement: strong. Weight: managed - barely. Three and a half months to go. Thank You, Lord.

From the learning rooms...Ashlin is plodding along in her characterized "slow and steady gets the job done" approach. Ardyn has had several successful days in a row. She can see the light at the end of the 2nd grade tunnel. The boys separately, yet simultaneously made a very poor decision last week, so they have been on restriction. (No electronics, no tv, no playing with friends) With all the extra time, they have zoomed ahead in their studies. They should be finished by the end of April. Mari has been in "I Spy" detox. I told her she MUST choose story books first, THEN we'll "read I Pie". It's really no fun anyway. She knows where everything is on every page. She's a mess.

From the kitchen...The kids helped me cook for an hour or two after lunch. I needed to make a dessert to take to a friend. I figured since the oven was on, I could go ahead with dinner. Then I figured since the other half of the meat was thawed, I could go ahead with tomorrow's supper. THEN I figured since the kitchen's already messy, I could go ahead and make one more dish to be eaten SOMETIME soon. Now the kitchen is tidy, and I shouldn't have to cook until Wednesday or Thursday. Yippy Skippy.

I am wearing...(you'll be so impressed) Black trousers, purple long sleeve shirt, black socks, styled hair, a little make up, and --wait for it ---- a necklace! Can you even imagine? It's Monday and I'm fully dressed. (remember the check up this morning?) It won't happen again for another month.

I am creating...a new set up for the laundry room. I purchased tall vented hampers for each person. Philip and I keep ours in our bathroom, JW's is in the hall bath, and the kids keep theirs in the laundry room under my new folding table. Each person gets one day of the week to do his/her own laundry with age-appropriate help offered cheerfully. I don't feel pressure to always have a load going because, logically, everyone should be able to make it a week without washing. No sorting. No fighting over who's job it is. No lost or mismatched socks. No piles on the couch. Why have I not thought of this approach before now? It is truly a thing of beauty.

I am going...to run the boys to practice and then deliver that dessert I was talking about. Then it's home again, home again, jiggity-jig.

I am reading..."Shadow Spinner" by Susan Fletcher. I LOVE this book! It is actually a read-aloud for the kids' schooling, but I love it. It is a beautifully written novel depicting a fresh version of 1001 Nights. The kids are completely enthralled. Even Philip got caught up in the drama one evening. I'm finished with "Can We Talk?" for a while, but still trying to stay up to date on my Holman Bible in a Year.

I am hoping...Ashlin comes to a personal faith in God soon. I had a frightening dream the other night about her. I know not to place too much emphasis on crazy dreams during this hormonal season, but I did awake to an irrepressible urge to pray for her faith. She says she loves God and I know the Word is being planted in her heart. Contrition does not come easily for her. Her stoic strength could also be her weakness. I don't want to push her. I want her to come to Him on her own. Hoping and praying.

I am hearing...the kids talk among themselves. Mari is up from her nap, the boys have finished their seat work, the girls are through with their latest "project", so everyone is just "viz-ten" as we say in Texas.

Around the house...slight clutter and the viz-ten. That's it.

One of my favorite things...is Philip's cologne. He's worn it since the day I met him. I love it. He sprays it generously on his clothes for Sundays and then when he drapes his shirt over the chair, I can even smell it on Mondays. Warm, clean, & strong with a hint of spicy sweetness. Yep. That's my man.

A few plans for the rest of the week...Lessons, Choir rehearsal, planting a few veggies, and MP3's spring concert on Sunday.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...Mari Alice thoroughly enjoyed Cousin Johnathan's birthday party last weekend. They are so sweet together.


To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.