Monday, January 19, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY Monday, January 19, 2009...

Outside my window...breezy and bright. All the dogs in our neighborhood are laying on their sides in the bright, warm sunshine. I'm not exaggerating. They're sunbathing in every yard. Looks like a plague.

I am thinking...that my kids are awesome. They have their issues and idiosyncrasies, but I would choose them again if I could.

I am thankful for...Godly friends who journey along with me. Friends who speak the truth in love. Sisters who help in times of need. Pals who laugh at & with me. Gals who will study scripture and spur me onward.

From the learning rooms...Johnson Academy observed Martin Luther King Day today. It wasn't on the calendar, but when so many of our publicly educated friends are on holiday, it's difficult to focus. It's also difficult to turn down invitations for a bit of social fun.

From the kitchen...CLEAN! So clean, that I couldn't bear to serve lunch. Dollar burgers on the patio. Pitiful. But my kitchen is rounding out five straight hours of total cleanliness! This too shall pass. Over the weekend, I made a new recipe for Chicken Enchiladas. Flour tortillas, cream cheese, green chilies, green enchilada sauce. I thoroughly enjoyed them. Tortellini soup for tonight.

I am wearing...Navy pants & a SWEPCO tee shirt. shhhh, don't tell Philip. He strongly dislikes my borrowing from his side of the closet. Even when I tilt my cute little head to the side and smile sweetly, and whine:"It makes me feel close to you..." His response: Strong dislike. (oh well)

I am creating...ok, this is the several-th week in a row I have nothing to put on this one. I'm usually characterized by creativity. What's the deal? I think I'm learning what a mess "creativity" makes, and I'm having a baby in several months, and there might not be enough time to start and finish such a mess. Who knows?

I am going...to take Ardyn to basketball practice, and do a reverse swap for the kids who swapped "wallago". We need to turn in some videos and grab some milk. I'm also going to paint the hallway. I KNOW. I said I would do it weeks ago. Don't give me that look!

I am reading..."A Woman God Can Use" by Alice Mathews, "Can We Talk?" by Priscilla Shirer, and my Holman Bible in a Year. (same as last week...locked in.)

I am hoping...to have what it takes to parent a teenager. If I don't have "it" now, I have four days to gather "it" up. VERY open for wise counsel and advice. I am also HOPING that wherever I fall miserably short, the Lord will find other ways to provide for Landen --and all the other teenagers to follow in coming years -- despite my whole-hearted efforts.

I am hearing...girls. lots of little girls. JW took Landen to play flag football with some fellas. We swapped Luke for Emma and so there are four little girls playing "who-knows-what" down the hall. I am also hearing "I love You, Lord. You are mine. I love You forever! You're the One for me! You're the One for me!" over and over and over in my head. We learned it last night in MP3. I seriously woke up three times during the night because my mental music was playing too loudly.

Around the house...Only two more loads of laundry to do. Everything is neat and tidy. I have NO excuse not to change clothes and paint. Right now!

One of my favorite things...is how strong the boys are growing. Physically, they can do all the little things I used to have to wait for Philip to do. Mentally, they are initiating and contributing to deep conversations and I love it! Spiritually, they know right and wrong; the Lord is leading them to make more and more righteous, selfless choices. Yay God!

A few plans for the rest of the week...lessons tomorrow, AWANA and choir Wed, Basketball practice on Friday, two games on Saturday, a "Big Buck" Banquet on Saturday night (what SHALL I wear???) and the third annual Johnson Bowl on Sunday afternoon. Every year the boys invite fathers and sons to play two hours of flag football to celebrate their birthdays. Always a huge time! I wondered last night if they would continue this completely fun tradition into their teen years. Uh-oh, sappy momma alert!

Here is picture thought I am sharing...Luke and Landen being best buds.


To participate or simply enjoy more daybooks, visit The Simple Woman.