Wednesday, January 21, 2009

CWT? Week 1 recap

"The praises of God cannot fit in a mouth that is already filled with other things."

"Wisdom is having something to say...and not saying it."

Ephesians 5:33 "Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must SEE TO IT that she respects her husband."

I realize that I should respect Philip. And I do. But I've never thought of my responsibility to "see to it" that he is respected. That sounds way more deliberate and purposeful than my present course of action (or inaction).

Job 16:2-5 (Job's plea to his friends during his darkest hour)
"I have heard many things like these.
You are all miserable comforters.
Is there no end to your empty words?
What provokes you that you continue testifying?
If you were in my place I could also talk like you.
I could string words together against you and shake my head at you, but I wouldn't. I would encourage you with my mouth, and the consolation from my lips would bring relief."

Paraphrase: "Could I pay you fellas to shut off?? You stink at this!"

Life lesson: Even if a case CAN be made, doesn't mean it SHOULD be made. (ouch)

Hebrews 13:15-16 "Through Him [Jesus] then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. And do not neglect doing good and sharing, for with such sacrifices God is pleased."

Paraphrase: Christ Jesus gave His life as the perfect sacrifice, His offering makes it possible for us to LIVE as sacrifices who CONTINUALLY offer praise with words.

Something to think about: Words are meant to be shared.

From CWT page 29 by Priscilla Shirer...

In what specific ways have you been challenged to yield your tongue to the Lord's control?

What steps can you take immediately to obey?

What has been the most meaningful day of conversation have you had this week?
Why?

What verse has stirred the deepest conversation?