Wednesday, November 12, 2008

From Mrs. Mullikin

Mrs. Mullikin went to be with Jesus a couple years ago. She is a precious saint of a woman...married at 15, raised several Godly kids, and knew how to grow a mean elephant ear plant and bake a mean Banana bread. Her last activity on earth was attending a prayer meeting.

I remember meeting her when I was a newlywed. She offered me the most challenging, sweet advice. She told me, "I always tried to make our home a little piece of heaven for my husband to come home to. I'd have it tidy and smelling nice when he came in from a long day in that dark, cruel world." I hope her bread recipe is merely a symbol of the wonderful wisdom she has passed along.

This is Mrs. Mullikin's famous "Hawaiian Banana Bread"
Beyond its fabulous taste and texture, you only need two measurements, so it's easy to remember and has fewer utensils to wash.

Dry Bowl:
3 c flour
2 c sugar
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

(whisk and make a well in the middle)

Wet Bowl:
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 8oz can crushed pineapple
4-5 ripe bananas - peeled & mashed
1 cup chopped walnuts
(whisk and pour into middle of dry bowl)

Mix well & bake in 3 loaf pans for one hour on 350.

NOW: over the years I've changed a few things.
I only use one bowl - that whole aversion to massive clean-up
(it works fine)
I usually bake in one bunt pan and one little pyrex bowl (for taste-testing)
Muffins work also, and tiny loaf pans are the cutest for gifts.

When we're feeling healthful, I use a blend of whole wheat flour or spelt flour.
I have cut the sugar in half and used only Xylotol. I have used applesauce instead of the oil or at least cut back on the oil. (this changes the density, but it's still a nice treat) I've replaced the eggs/oil with flax, and now even if I follow the recipe, I always add milled flax seed.

I love to add shredded coconut to push the Hawaiian envelope. And when I don't have pineapple on hand, I've substituted 1 cup applesauce.

And in case you don't have time to bake at the exact moment the bananas are "turning the corner toward compost". You can peel, mash and freeze those jokers in a zipper bag. When you're ready to bake, thaw them and go.


Thank You, Lord, for Mrs. Mullikin and her unmistakable love for You. Thank You that we still have reminders of her wisdom and ways. Until we can all sit down for a nice cup of coffee...