Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday Flashback Fotos

Yesterday, we had the best treat! My Great Uncle Don, his beautiful wife, Ann, and their precious daughter, Mynde, came by for a visit. They were traveling home to Missouri after spending a couple weeks at M.D. Anderson in Houston.

When the kids overheard my phone conversation with Aunt Ann, they began to console one another: "He's not feeling well, so there will be no 'hokus dee-pokus' today..."
When their car pulled up the drive, the kids surrounded it, pressing in to get dibs at the first hugs. As Uncle Don climbed out of the back seat, he held a white plastic bag in his hand. Next thing I know, he's got all the kids closing their eyes really tight, squirmin' their mouths sideways, and holdin' out their hands. "Hokus Dee-Pokus...Alakazam!" Then he would toss a bag of candy into open palms. This was Mari's first go at it. She approves.

He then turned to give James his fair share. Hard times and bubble gum...without the bubble gum. "Boy, you are eat up with ugly aren't ya? No wonder you ain't got no girl!" The whole time he's ribbin', Uncle Don is chuckling and literally poking fun between JW's ribs. Later, just before they drove away, Uncle rolled down his back window and hollered, "Jesus hadn't come back yet; you still got time!"

My Grandpa, Jimmy, died when I was just a few months old. He had several brothers and sisters who I remember meeting and adoring as a child. I especially loved to watch my dad interact with his Uncle Don. When my dad died before Landen was born, I was needy for a Papa from my Dad's side of the gene pool. Some of my most precious photographs are of each of my babies cradled in the arms of "Unk Don". Philip and I traveled to Don & Ann's house the year we were engaged and have returned almost every year since. Uncle Don always calls me "Sweetie" and he always kisses me on the cheek when we say hello or goodbye. When Mynde hugged me and said, "You look great. I don't think I've ever seen you NOT pregnant", Uncle piped in with "I think it's wonderful that you've got all these pretty babies. You should take that as a compliment. I mean it!"

This picture is from 1998. Luke pukes right as we take the shot. Landen is ready to bolt, huh? Can't you just tell Uncle's a hoot? Plenty good memories from that living room.



This one is from the 70's with my dad on the left, Uncle O.W. in the center, and Uncle Don on the right. You can see by their expressions that Uncle Don is giving his infamous "hard time"...just like he did with James yesterday.



Thank You, Lord, for Uncle Don & Aunt Ann. Thank You for giving them enough love to love us well. Thanks for providing such a sweet visit today. Keep them and shelter them in You arms.