Saturday, September 27, 2008

Whom Shall I Send

The “Going Beyond” event with Priscilla Shirer in Bossier was SUCH a blessing. I absolutely needed to hear what God sent her to share. Aside from the excellent, timely teaching from the book of Joshua, I heard about an orphanage that has recently been built in Uganda. The founder brings children out of poverty and gives them fine food, suitable shelter, and exceptional education. The hope is that the boys will be inspired and equipped to go beyond the bondage of poverty and lead their communities into freedom.

Tonight as I was putting Ardyn and Ashli to bed, I told them about the home and the orphans. They immediately burst into enthusiastic brainstorming.

AG: Are YOU going there, Momma?
AR: Can we come with you? Hey! James has a map in his car and we could fit, even Mari.
CDJ: James has a map to Africa in his car? We can’t drive to Africa.

AR: Great! It’s been a long time since I’ve been on an airplane!
AG: We should take some new clothes for the children…can we?
AR: Yes, lots of new clothes with no holes in them.
AG: Are we really going, Momma? Can our whole family go?
AR: We need to tell them about Jesus so they won’t want to love Satan.
AG: Oh, yes, we will tell them about Jesus and teach them songs to sing to Him.
CDJ: That’s a really good idea.

AG: We could teach them all kinds of stuff! Hey! We should invent a school over there, so that we can just teach them everything they need to know.
AR: Make sure we bring good paper…no paper with holes.
CDJ: That’s sweet of you.

AG: I could teach them math or spelling…I’m a lot better at spelling.
AR: I could teach them how to count to 100…and I could teach them to read.
AG: No, Ash, that’s too much like spelling, think of something else.
AR: (pause) I could teach them….knock-knock jokes, I know a bunch!

After a brief demonstration of their comedic repertoire, they settled back into our impromptu planning session. “So, when can we go, Mom?” Trying to cool their jets, without snuffing the flames of evangelism in their hearts, I told them we needed to pray and ask God to work out the details. I had to grin as each girl instinctively buried her face in her hands. At once, they whispered wordy, excited prayers to their Heavenly travel agent.

Thank You, Lord, for a glimpse of Your Life in the hearts of my precious girls. Help me validate these impulses and nurture their desires. Teach me to grasp onto childlike faith. Help me go beyond my silly preoccupations and boldly step into Your promises. Wherever You lead, I’ll go.

Spread, O spread the mighty Word,
Spread the Kingdom of the Lord,
That to earth’s remotest bound
Men may heed the joyful sound.

Word of Life, most pure and strong,
Word for which the nations long,
Spread abroad, until from night
All the world awakes to Light.

-J.F. Bahnmaier 1827