Monday, September 15, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY, Monday, September 15, 2008


Outside My Window...Wounded pine branches and shingles litter our yard, but the calm, crisply cool air breathes hope of better days to come. Beyond our neighborhood, Ike's damage is evidently worse. Schools are still closed. Dairy cases remain empty. Lineman work overtime.

I am thinking...about how addicted our society is to electricity. Philip literally hooked us up Saturday evening, so I had the freedom to contemplate this troublesome mystery while I watched a dvd in my lamplit, air-conditioned home. Just one of the many perks of sleeping with a handsome lineman. Even though we had power, we had no dial tone. What good is electricity if you can't even blog????

I am thankful for...the physical safety that God provided us over the weekend. "Us" was defined as Josh, Kathy, Johnathan, Oscar, Papa John, Granny Alice, and all 'us' Johnsons. I say, if you're gonna spend the day in peril, have plenty of people around to keep the party going.

From the kitchen...Silence. Tidy, lemon-scented silence. I served lunch, snack, and dinner on the patio, so clean up was minimal and earlier than usual. I heard JW in there 'wallago'. He typically eats his latenight meal like a jewel thief -- you know things are missing, but there's no evidence of who, how, or when.

I am wearing... shorts and a pink striped shirt. Can you believe it? Pink? It was on sale, and you know I love a good deal more than I hate pink. It's actually growing on me.

I am creating... a schedule for homeschooling. I've been doomed by distraction these past few weeks. I need a plan, people!

I am going...to include this simple woman link before I forget.

I am reading...the new Fall BHG that came in the mail, and a pile of Bible Study resources.

I am hoping...that Philip will be of sound mind and strong body as he continues to work in dangerous conditions. He called today and greeted me with "YES?". Confused, I clarified that I had not called him. He said he got a text message saying "Call your significant other". Just as my curiosity was piqued, he had to abruptly end our call. He called back a few moments later. "Hey," he said. "Hey", I replied with reservation, "you were about to tell me about your other significant other???" He was thrilled with his apparent high connections. "It was from my number, so I guess the Holy Spirit was telling me to call my beautiful wife and tell her I love her." um-hmmmm. He continued to offer his condolences that I was indeed his ONLY 'other' of any significance at all. "You're all I've got. I guess it stinks to be you!" Giggles all around.

I am hearing... trucks traveling on the nearby highway and windchimes gently swaying in the cool, night breeze. Thank You, Lord, for open windows!

Around the house... Everyone else is in bed. Ahhh... let's just bask in that warm, wonderful thought for a moment longer......
Philip is working. (Have I mentioned him yet, or the fact that he is working?)

One of my favorite things... "kitchen lemon" handsoap from Bath & Body Works. (Thank you Kilgore women!) It smells so delightful, I am tempted to diliberately soil my hands ...just for the opportunity to wash them again. Fingertips near your nose: Deep breath in....ahhhhhh.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: I hope to spend the next few gorgeous afternoons outdoors: rocking, reading, writing, and perhaps even romping. I need to go to the grocery, but I need for the grocery to have groceries...so timing will be tricky. I missed worshipping with our church family this past Sunday. Hopefully, we'll be together again soon.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...
This is our beloved Oscar. He is cordial, well-trained, hypoallergenic, tidy, and with the help of frequent baths and breath mints, he is quite genteel. Isn't he cute?