Wednesday, August 13, 2008

She Can't Carry a Zune in a Bucket

About my birthday gift. Philip got me a Zune. It is Microsoft's version of the iPod. It holds 80GB of song, photos, videos and podcasts in addition to tuning in radio stations. I've been wanting one since my last birthday. But last August we were "committed" to Dave Ramsey's plan to live debt-free and Philip was on board. I just felt kinda goofy saying, "I'm so glad we're focused on getting out of debt. This is the answer to all my prayers. But real quick, right before we get started, could you charge an mp3 player to Discover?"

At Christmas we were still "gazelle intense". No Zune. Both the IRS refund and the stimulus check were allocated to keep "Dave" happy. No Zune. Ah, Hurricane Dolly. Now we're talking. Pay off the Suburban to keep Dave pleased, then sneak over to Longview and spend the bit of surplus before September's budget kicks in.

The justification has been mounting over the last year as well. At first, I merely wanted a device on which to download my brother's sermons. And we all must realize how that purpose alone would provide justification entirely. But there might be other preachers, other sermons, even other songs...not any that I would pretend to appreciate or enjoy as I would Tim's offerings...but I might have a gig or two to spare.

Then I received an invitation to lead a women's retreat this Fall. It's not a huge deal, but it involves 3 Bible study sessions- each introduced by 15 minutes of worship. When I've gone to previous "gigs", I'm embarrassed to admit that I've carried a small wicker basket full of Cd's and even "CASS-ette" tapes with which to sing. I realized that in this day and age...or even a day and age during the past five years...there is bound to be a more efficient, less conspicuous manner in which to "share in song". In the past,our Worship Leader at church led with tracks loaded on a keyboard, but recently switched to an iPod. All the tracks are loaded. He puts them in folders for each service and there ya have it. I was inspired.

With my new gadget, (in addition to Tim's sermons which I'm busily downloading as we speak) I can load all my accompaniment trax, plus any trax to which I would lead worship from the piano. I can organize them ahead of time, but still enjoy flexibility either last minute or even mid-service. With a small direct box and two adapter cables, I'll be able to walk in, plug into a mic jack and run my trax from the stage. Cool, huh? I'm excited. And the next time I'm asked to lead worship or sing, I'll be loaded and ready to go...loaded as in "prepared" not "sloshed" or "filthy rich".

And that's all I know.