Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wed-Nez-Day

Today has been a much more relaxing day than yesterday. Though Mari cried out a couple times in the night, she slept in until 8:30. We had a quick breakfast then started chores. Friends came at 11, had lunch, and swapped kiddos. I was left with Mari, who was totally ready for a nap, and the 5 year old who Landen and Luke were hosting for the afternoon. Our neighbor invited the boys to come swimming, so I was soon left with Mari...asleep. What's a jenga player to do?

Our water was off all afternoon, so my big piles of laundry were locked in. I was tired of feeling silly each time I flipped the faucet handle to "on" and rubbed my hands together in thin air...as though there really was water flowing out. Showering was also not an option, so I decided to read then cook.

Last night I purchased a "combo meat tray" from the grocery store. It had one tray of chicken quarters, one tray of pork chops, one tray of tenderized round steaks, and one tray of ground beef. All for twenty bucks! This afternoon, I browned the beef in a pot and breaded the steaks and put them under the broiler. In two other dishes, I seasoned the chops and barbecued the chicken. My whole house swelled with the aroma of MEAT. I decided to recycle the bananas into loaves of bread. A treat for after dinner and a warm, lovely, new fragrance for the home!

After baseball "rounds", we're back. The girls have bathed, and the boys are wringing out the last drops of daylight with their friends down the street. Mari's wound seems to be healing. Ardyn hasn't mentioned her tooth all day. Well, except for when she came running in this morning saying that her tooth was gone and she found money under her pillow. I did my best "shock & awe" bit...she bought it.

More friends coming tomorrow and even more the day after that! No sign of a daddy coming home, but it'll all be okie dokie. After cooking all that meat and walking in the sauna - I mean, neighborhood, I STINK! I'm hurrying to shower and then chill before bedtime. Notice, I use the term: bedTIME...simply the time frame in which most folks go to bed, not the actual act of resting or sleeping or even lying down. It's true. I'm a lonely, anxious insomniac. Surely not for long.

Thank You, Lord for loving me. Lead me into Your rest.