Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Night Cast

Philip is still gone. (Thus the latenight blog)
James is still house sitting & his car is still in the shop.
25 gallons of gas: $100.
1 bottle of Excedrin: $4.
Being able to make 72 extra trips across town in your sister's gas-guzzling "mom-mobile" to get folks where they need to be and riding TOGETHER to everything else: Priceless!

Landen and Luke are each playing for a select baseball team this Fall. First Tournament is this weekend. They have practice every night this week. Is it Fall? Did my husband open this athletic can of worms and immediately head for the border? Shall we change the subject?

We had a rough afternoon. Ardyn had a tooth pulled today. (long, bitter story concerning another dentist here in town) While we waited for her prescription to be filled, James and the girls and I went to lunch. Ardyn couldn't eat because of the gauze in her cheek. Mari has one of her "bumps" that we're treating and it hurts for her to sit. Ashli was doing fine until she swallowed a chip that wasn't chewed enough. James looks across the table at me as all three girls are quietly crying and pitifully moaning about their respective maladies.
Ardyn: "Wah cahnt I have ships or binzth...izthit thill bleedin?"
Ashlin: "The chip is stuck in my throat and it won't go down OR up." (I vote to keep workin' on 'down')
Mari: "Bo-bo bum...no pop...owww...bo-bo bum"

Everyone composed themselves and we were able to enjoy most of our lunch. We picked up the medicine from the pharmacy, the boys from their friend's house, and headed home to rest.

The kids really miss Philip. I do too, but I'm sort of on auto-pilot in survival mode. I'll save my breakdown for when he's safely back in our midst. Luke cried the other night. He was worried something bad was going to happen to his dad. Ardyn cries every time she gets slightly tired. Landen and Mari seem to be taking it in stride. Ashlin had her meltdown this morning. She walked into my bathroom and asked, "Mom, (sniff) do you want to (sniff, sniff) do you want to know why I'm (sniff) why I'm crying?" "Yes, Ash, tell me." "I (boo) miss my (hoo) dad! (wail, snort, sob)" I let her call him. They talked. She was distracted by the adventure of dialing by herself, but then the waterworks were up and running again.

I'll be glad when we can be together again.

In happier news, Ashlin was a beautiful sister to her ailing sisters today. She was compassionate, encouraging, and helpful. It was a joy to watch her.

Landen mowed the lawn yesterday. It is nice that the outside stuff is still getting done even without Philip.

On the way to his practice, Luke helped me pick out some new sunglasses. His honesty, style, and decisiveness makes him a super shopper.

Ardyn is "all better" tonight. Her [nasty] tooth is in a box under her pillow. I'll have to commission a flight from fairyland to dispose of that rotten yuck.

Mari Alice is better as well. She is uncomfortable, but I think we're on the upswing. Morning will tell.

James is across town (with my burban...that's short for Suburban, not a misspelling of Bourbon...no worries) He'll be back under our roof by tomorrow night.

Now that I've processed all the challenges from today, I must mention that Bible Study was wonderful! God spoke truth into my heart in a fresh way. He loves us so much! He totally answered my prayers today. Praise Him!!

Dear Father, thank You for today. Thank You for my children and my brother. Thank You for medicine. Thank You for friends. Thank You for the great job that You've given Philip. Keep Him safe in Your arms. You ARE wonderful, aren't You?