Tuesday, July 08, 2008

We Should Know Better

Hang in there...I DO have a point, I promise :)

I was on the phone with Philip’s sister the other day. She said, “I’ve been reading your blog, and I just love it. I really needed to know that your house was dirty sometimes and that you get frustrated with your kids. It really encouraged me.” (I’m glad my grump & grime could make her day!) Her point was that though we’ve been related for years, we’ve never taken the time to share in depth… She’s a refreshingly transparent person. She is humble and honest and talkative. So in about an hour, one can know her quite well. I’m a little more hard to crack. She just knows the Thanksgiving/Birthday Cari…quite a different girl from Everyday Cari.

I talked with my aunt one day. It had been a while since we had visited, but she knew everything that had been going on in the Johnson household. She said, “I read your blog and I feel like I get to chat with you all the time!” I responded with, “I’m glad you enjoy the blog, but since I don’t know when you do, and you don’t respond, I’m not feelin’ the whole ‘chat’ vibe.”

When my great aunt –meaning: older, not necessarily better than the aunt mentioned above – reads my blog, she immediately sends an email. I email her back, and sometimes we do the whole dance again. It’s loads of cross-generational fun.

My mom, who is super great, has expressed a mild aversion to reading my blog. She feels that this information is intended for the masses, and therefore lacks the special qualities indicative of optimal mother/daughter communication. I understand. She needs my personal attention. I want to give her that.

I seldom surf the net. With dial-up, it’s more like paddling on your belly –really slowly. The other night I followed some links and read some new blogs for the first time. I read and read and read. I read through the comments of one site. The majority of the 150+ comments on a single post was, “I feel like I know you even though we’ve never met face to face.” Over and over again, this feeling was expressed.

There is one other friend I’ll mention. She constantly writes to find out what’s up. When she specifically asks for an update, I usually reply with the highlights and invite her to read the blog. She refuses then later laments that she “never knows what’s going on” with us. I don’t get it.

I think through these blogger dynamics and my thoughts turn to the Kingdom. Words are powerful. God knows who you REALLY are because He knit you together in your mother’s womb. His desire is that you know who He REALLY is. Don’t settle for who people say He is. Don’t rely on who you THINK He is. Learn His character. And here’s a fun fact: He never changes! He’s the same yesterday, Thanksgiving, today, birthdays, and tomorrow!

How did God reveal Himself to mankind? “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” (John 1:14) Though Christ came for the world and the Bible is read by the masses, the Creator offers His personal touch to each believer. He desires to commune with you. Communication is two-way. Don’t just lurk in the pages of scripture, and don’t merely babble and blab your prayers. Listen and speak. He will listen and speak.

“No one has ever seen God, but God the Only Begotten who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.” (John 1:18) Though we have yet to meet Him face to face (it’s coming, people!) we can know Him. And as we grow in our knowledge of Him, we can respond more and more appropriately to His marvelous, matchless grace. “I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the Lord They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.” (Jeremiah 24:7)

My closest friend called yesterday to chat. She had read something online and “knew for sure that I would be upset”. I’ve never said the words to her, “Boy if yadda-yadda ever happens, I’m gonna be hacked off.” She just knows me. She’s miles away and still assesses and responds accurately. That’s what I love about her the most. She has taken the time to know me. She is honest with me. She rebukes and encourages me. She REALLY knows me and still REALLY loves me. I’m pretty sure God taught her that.

(Romans 1:18-25) “The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities –his eternal power and divine nature –have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened…They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator –who is forever praised.”