Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's Good in the Neighborhood

Last night, I went to dinner with some ladies from church. It was good to be "out". As we waited for everyone to arrive, I thumbed through the menu a thousand times. I had no idea what I wanted, what I needed, or what would be best. I'm so accustomed to sharing an entree with Philip. I'm also accustomed to his distinct ability to pinpoint his preferences and act upon them.

Just when I thought, "I'll have a glass of water with a bowl of lemon -- I know this much for sure!", my friend seated next to me said, "I usually split a meal with my husband." I almost hugged her. She planned on ordering the same chicken dish I had been contemplating. I chose the salad, she selected the dessert, and we happily split the entree. Such a deal!

About fourteen of us gathered around one long table and the conversation was calm and reserved at first. But as dinner concluded, some began to loiter with our lemon-water. The sharing continued as the visiting turned to confiding. Two or three of us would lean in closer to speak and hear about delicate matters, but then spring back in a commotion of laughter as we reveled in relating with one another.

Thank You, Lord, for shared lives. Thank You for tiny little vacations from routine where You bless us with relaxation and revival. Thank You, Thank You.