Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Bec!

I remember Tim calling me one day in 1992 and saying that he wanted me to meet "a girl". I could take you to the exact seam line of cobblestone walkway at ETBU where I smiled and said "hi" to Rebecca for the first time. My first thought: Wow, she's cute and seems so quiet and sweet...I wonder what she sees in my brother." I glanced over at Tim: his weight shifting from one cowboy boot to the other; hands in his Wrangler pockets; smiling broadly. The other half of my first thoughts: Wow, some of her quiet sweetness seems to have already rubbed off on him!

I don't quite remember how it all went down, but soon Rebecca and tiny Justin had moved into my apartment to keep me company. Then we moved to a bigger apartment. Then we moved into a duplex. Then her sister joined us. My memories of those years are disjointed, but vivid. Rebecca liked Spring breezes and wanted to let them in the house. I like cold, compressed air. Once the climate control issues were settled we would lounge and watch 90210. One time - no three times - Justin made the bath water "BLUUUUE!" with the bottle of Selson I left in the tub. I took him to INNERVIEW rehearsal a couple times. He was awsome. When he was hurt he would grit his teeth, squint his eyes, and say "Eees Gonna Be Beh-tah!" I loved watching her be a mom. She was so mature and selfless. And I loved watching her interact with Tim. They were completely cute in the kitchen....making the first batches of "Sexy Bean Dip". I asked why they had to call it that. Tim, in total 90's jargon, explained, "It's so hot. It's just totally FINE." (whatev)

In December 1993 she married Tim and I got totally kicked out of my own room. I moved into Tim's room at the parents' and Tim....well....he started sleeping with my friend. Yuck. A month later Rebecca was my bridesmaid, and I got me one of them sleeping buddies :)

I LOVED the Sunday afternoons when their family would come snooze at our house. That was total coziness! At Tim's ETBU graduation party, I was sitting next to Gramma Billie. As we watched Rebecca from across the room, Gramma leaned over and whispered to me, "I can't quite figure it out, but that girl LOVES Tim, doesn't she." Smile and nod...smile and nod.

Rebecca is one of the strongest women I know. She possesses the best aspects of both capability and dependency. She has faced terrible grief with tremendous grace. She faces each day with a peaceful, easy feeling (and the possibility of a practical joke or spontaneous goofy spell). She knows the balance of duty and delight. I love that. (Can't do it, but love it) Her children already rise up and call her blessed, and I'm sure the response will continue and grow. Her husband is fortunate to be loved so well.

Well, there's my blog about my hero, I mean, my sister-in-law. Happy Birthday, Friend!