Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Good Things

I am doing something new for VBS this year. I'm am NOT a lead teacher. I stepped down from that position a few weeks ago when I knew in my "gizzard" -as my dad would have said- that I shouldn't lead out. I am helping one of my dear friends with the 5-yr-olds. She offers brilliant decorations, skillful preparation, and undeniable love for the kids. My only job, it seems, is to show up and be cute and obedient. She says I'm accomplishing my task beautifully. I provide a delicate balance of behavioral guidance and comedic relief. Did you know that when I'm not in charge of something I can be downright sweet?? A very fun girl, indeed.

J-dub gave me the afternoon/evening off! Woo-hoo. I had lunch with a friend, then dropped by the consignment shop. A thunderstorm and a Gateway worship CD accompanied me to Sonic where I sipped ice water and fine-tuned my grocery list. I drove by the ballpark to see if the fields were too wet for Philip to have practice. They were. In one brief moment, the entire evening opened up. Then in the next brief moment, he was called out to work and that evening slammed right back down. We miss him, but the overtime will surely help finance this weekend's trip to pick up Ardyn and next week's all-star travels.

I am LOVING E-mealz. James frowns upon my enthusiastic lack of creativity. Yesterday he asked, "What was that meat stuff?" I couldn't remember the official title, so I walked to my printed menu on the front of the fridge. "Hmmm, Meal #5: Hashbrown 'n' Beef Bake" I proudly announced. He just rolled his eyes. Apparently, since I don't spend hours dreaming up these dishes and compiling grocery lists, the meals are perceived as cold and heartless. Alrighty, then. Cold and heartless, it is...because Hashbrown 'n' Beef Bake is warm and wonderful, and James knows it.

We watched "Stranger Than Fiction" last night. VERY good flick. cons: one scene of spirited kissing and one ridiculous men's locker room hairy hiney scene. also occasional misuse of God's name. pros: Wonderfully unique idea, smart script, great actors. Though probably not intended by the director, I noticed deep hints of parallel truths concerning God's role as the "Author and Perfecter of our faith", presenting oneself as a living sacrifice, and the tension between destiny and freedom to choose abundant life.


Thank You, God, for today. I pray for each child in our class. Reveal a tiny glimpse of Your Glory. Give them each a hunger for Your Presence and for Your Word. Thank You for Tina, Sarah, Diane, and Pam. Give them perfect strength this week. I pray for the ladies in Bible Study who met without us today. May we continue to learn contentment. Thank You for James. What a wonderful gift. Thank You for Philip. Shelter him as he works tonight. Bless Ardyn's time with Abby. Thank You for KJS. He shines so brightly for You. Thank You for letting us see You all around...in nature and movies and people. I love YOU more than anything.