Saturday, May 24, 2008

Out & About

It's Saturday night. We were just about to get settled in for a good night's sleep when Philip was called out to work. Crud. I don't relax well when he's unrested and out working with electricity in the dark. So here I am: unsettled on a lot of levels.

Earlier this evening, he and I went on our first date in a while. We went to Chili's and ran some errands while the boys attended an "end of school" party. It was good to be together/alone....alone/together....you know what I mean: no munchkins.

Today he wired a shop for a friend. Philip took the boys with him and we have two girl cousins visiting for the weekend, so when James awoke, he was completely outnumbered. Besides monitoring dress-up, play-dough, coloring, and swinging, James and I were able to watch a movie and lift weights. Both activities brought me to tears.

Tomorrow I am scheduled to teach in the 2-year-old class throughout Sunday School and both services. If Philip gets called to work tomorrow (or hasn't returned from this outing) we're gonna be in some interesting mess. Five kids, 2 cousins, no parents....it takes a village? After church we'll have lunch with a young couple who are moving away this week. (sniff) Then there is NOTHING on the calendar for the rest of the day --for the day of the rest. We will get to wash bedding by Monday for the cousins shall be gone and JW will have begun his Memorial Day journeys. From 10 to 7 in just a few hours.

Philip's birthday is coming up and so is the b-day of his friend/moonlighting boss. So, we're getting together as families and grilling Monday evening. Here is sad news: There will be no German Chocolate Bunt Cake covered with Coconut-Pecan Icing and Dark Chocolate Shavings, surrounded by Chocolate covered Strawberries. "It's tradition!" you say. He doesn't care. I believe his exact words were, "Go ahead and make it, I guess, but I'm not eatin' it." No thanks... I checked that little item off my "to do" list. He's so bound and determined to lose his last 5 pounds, that he's not even taking a break for his birthday. He's such a better loser than I.

Hey! That handsome biggest loser just walked in. Now I can go get re-settled.

Thank You, Lord, for keeping my family safe in Your arms. We trust in You alone.