Thursday, May 22, 2008

Maid Service

Ok. The casa is clean...but not without incident. Boy howdy! The day started out fine. I had a list of items that needed to be addressed. Each child selected one duty for each year of their age. (I did NOT have 36 left over). Just as we were about to embark, I broke cardinal rule #3 and answered the phone. Thanks to call-waiting, I responded to two prayer requests, a call from an emergency room, one returned message from my doctor, a check-in from a brother, and a reminder from the financial aid office at ETBU (for JW). AN HOUR LATER....the kids were hoping I had forgotten about my cute little list.

We trudged on. Some kids worked diligently. Others struggled. In many ways, we were forced to make things worse before there was evidence of improvement. I kept the CD's playin' and the spirits high. I ordered pizza for them as a reward for hard work. (and to keep the kitchen list checked off). Then it all seemed to fall apart. I may have jumped the gun on the pizza deal.

Though some of the work had been completed, much of the efforts were thwarted with disrespect, complaints, laziness, selfishness, and apathy. And that was just MY part!

Cut to 6pm. Due to the fact that they were rough-housing while I was re-doing their projects, the boys have been exiled to their room. Landen responds with nervous tidying, while Luke welcomes the unexpected opportunity to finish up a few more chapters of "Prince Caspian". Mari has some milk in her room while she plays with Ashlin. Ardyn is listening to music and writing at James' desk. I am crying. Sweating and crying. The kids' bathroom had sent me over the edge. Luke assured me he had swept and mopped. However, there was a dirty sock under the cabinet, fuzz behind the toilet and a piece of torn tissue beside the overflowing trash can. UGH! I decided to start over. "I don't WANT to clean their toilet! I've cleaned it the last 3 times. I am NOT their MAID. I am NOT their SERVANT!"

wow. There's a cold, hard truth. Not only do I lack a "servant's heart", I don't even want one. I am a wretch.

While I finished the cleaning, I prayed for wisdom. When the house and my heart were quiet and clean, I took some food back to the girls' bedroom. The boys assumed I had invoked the proverb that says "he who does not work, does not eat". They were grateful and relieved for the merciful plate I offered them. After eating, the boys said they wanted to go dust their room. I read to the girls and put them to bed. The boys came into my room to say they were ready for me to check their room and that they were sorry. Landen asked if I was mad. I told him I was not mad. I was frustrated with my own laziness and bad attitude. I was frustrated with how I had obviously passed on some of my bad habits to them. Luke said he was sorry for being grumpy and lazy. He said he had stayed up too late reading his book. They wanted another chance. I told them we would keep praying for humbleness and strength to put others first. Group hug - goodnight kisses.

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." --Christ Jesus in 'Matthew 25'
Lord, please keep working on me. I want to be humble in Your sight. (That's gonna take a huge miracle....Thanks)