Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Great Deal

While Kathy and I were walking around at the book fair, I saw a table full of paperback biographies. One of the titles was "Gladys Aylward". It was the only title I needed to complete a set I was saving for next year. The sign above one pile of books read: "$8.99". Another sign nearby read: "All biographies on sale: $6.99". Still another sign sat atop a pyramid of paperbacks and it read: "10 for $10". I grabbed a single copy of the book I wanted. I sweetly approached the vendor behind the table. I layed the book down gently, yet diliberately. I said, "Hi. I really want this book. I'm a little confused by the posted prices, but this is the book I wish for. I want to take this book to my house today...just one copy of this book. I just want you, to tell me, what I need to pay you, so that I may take this book, home with me." She smiled broadly. She picked up the book and handed it to me. "You may have it." I giggled in embarrassment, wondering if I had annoyed her with my ramblings. "You are funny. You made me laugh. I want you to have this book." I thanked her for the book and the laugh. And we enjoyed a great big, group guffaw.

Thank You, Lord, for laughter. Help us not take ourselves too seriously. Help us be a blessing to others...even strangers...especially strangers. Thank You for providing joy in Your special way. You love surprises, don't You?